What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best place for LP4-3 rivets

JwWright57

Well Known Member
It looks like I'm going to need some more LP4-3 rivets, where is the best place to get those? Vans? Or somewhere else? My big box of rivets came from a wholesaler here in NC but I don't think they sell to individuals.....

I'd get them from Van's. Here's why: tolerances could come into play.
I had rivets with my kit that were from two different manufacturers. Most fit perfectly. The minority were a little larger in diameter, though still within spec, but they did not fit and the holes had to be reamed a tiny bit. Not a show stopper, but a very annoying hassle. Several builders posted here awhile back with the same complaint, so it wasn't an isolated case.
If you buy the rivets from Van's you'll at least have the ear of somone who cares if there's any problem.

The box of 10,000 rivets that came with my kit is marked...
Quality Component & Supply Mfg.
Beaverton Or.

I use a 5/32" straight pick (about 10" long) that comes to a fine point. The fine point easily slides into even badly misaligned holes and brings them into perfect alignment. If a skin rivet won't go in I'll insert the pick in the next hole and that usually brings the misaligned hole into alignment. Occasionally I might need to spin the pick a few times to bring the holes into alignment. Only on rare occasions do I need to resort to a reamer.

Is a Pick the same as Awl?

I use a 5/32" straight pick (about 10" long) that comes to a fine point. The fine point easily slides into even badly misaligned holes and brings them into perfect alignment. If a skin rivet won't go in I'll insert the pick in the next hole and that usually brings the misaligned hole into alignment. Occasionally I might need to spin the pick a few times to bring the holes into alignment. Only on rare occasions do I need to resort to a reamer.

Ditto for the "Pick" approach. I used a couple of Awls the same way. Even so, I kept the 4-flute Ream handy in another cordless drill.

Jeff, any idea how many you need? I have a BUNCH left over from Van's that you're welcome to have some for the cost of shipping. I'll just keep a few handfuls for myself.
Send a PM.

Thx Dave. Don't really know. I had to replace one the the wing skins (one of the big ones) and also had to remove most of the rivets on the joining piece where they fit together.

I'm at the "attach side skins to the fuse" point and have about a 1/3 of a one gallon container left. Interestingly talking to vans they upped the rivet count in the big box to 12,000 at some point (I have the 10,000 box)

So i was just going to order another 1k, they are not really all that expensive. I probably only need a few hundred but don't want to pay shipping twice.

Jeff-

I sent you a PM ... I can give you 1K LP4-3 rivets free you pay the USPS flat rate on the small box. Send me you phone number and we can work out the details.

Back