What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to mount GDL-39 3D

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I have an RV-8 with the panel removed for avionics upgrades. Trying to figure out the best place to install the GDL-39 3D for the Aera 660 backup GPS. Will remote mount the ADSB-in antenna and don’t want the GDL-39 up on the glare shield. Was thinking to fabricate a mount & put it somewhere up front behind the panel. The manual requires a specific orientation.

Looking for mounting suggestions, what have others done?

Last edited:
GDL-39-3D Remote Mount

Hi Oly

I mounted mine on the same shelf as my Skyview Adhars in the tail of my RV-4..
With no adverse effect on either one..

Also installed a lighter outlet to connect the GDL to aircraft power so that it is powered when the Master switch is turn on..

Connectivity to my G796 is via Bluetooth..

Has worked flawlessly so far...YMMV..

Bruno

Oly,
I remote mounted my GDL39 and love it. I took the stubby antenna off, ordered one of these connectors from Stein which converts the little SMA connector to a regular BNC connector. Then I ran a antenna cable to the belly of the plane and connected it to a Delta Pop shark fin antenna . I usually get ADSB on the ground but definitely after a couple of hundred feet in the air it starts to pick up weather data and traffic if there are any in the area. As for the connectivity, it's hardwired to my G3X system which distributes the traffic and weather data to both screens. I don't really use it to bluetooth to anything but I have it mounted in a place that with just a little work (30 seconds) I can get to it and start the pairing process if needed. Once it's paired with a device, you should need to pair it again.

It adds a bit of cost but it's done right.

Last edited:
Back