What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to paint the interior??

JHartline

Well Known Member
I'm about to join the fuselage with the tail section and trying to figure out when would be the best time to paint the inside. Before or after. I'll be using a rotisserie once they are joined so rotation would be easier...so I'm leaning that way. However one could argue that accessibility might be better without the tail attached.

Suggestions?

I'm planning to attach my tail cone next week and have been thinking about this issue the last few days as well. I am leaning towards after joining so I can get it all sprayed at the same time although the dash parts will need to be painted as individual parts since it would be tough to spray the front floors with the dash in place. I want to avoid spraying the interior at different times to avoid possible color mismatch or different flow out or sheen due to temp and humidity differences between days. Another plus is that you can spray the baggage floor after installation so the pop rivets are painted along with the floor and won't be as noticeable. That said, it's tougher to manipulate the canoe around to spray it when together... That's my plan but still not totally convinced yet.

I'm going through the same analysis right now. I already joined the tail cone, mounted the fuselage on the rotisserie and put in the baggage flooring. I wasn't sure how much I would have to mask off before painting the interior so I broke open the finish kit box and pulled out the tunnel and seat cover pieces.

I think I will paint the cover pieces first to make sure my color and paint selection are good and then move on to painting the interior. I got a quart of Stewart Systems EkoCrylic that I'm going to try out. I've already primed all my parts with their EkoPrime with good results so I thought I would try out their top coat. What could go wrong?:)
fuselage263.JPG

I am in the process of painting the cockpit. In the plans it tells you to paint before installing the rudder pedals and brakes on page 32- 08. I was worried about having to repaint everything after riveting the upper canopy deck(s) in and the paint not looking good. What i did was painted the front area behind the firewall to the first frame which will all be under the instrument panel. I also skipped ahead and built the upper forward fuselage structure behind the panel and painted it. After i rivet the upper fwd fuse stucture and the canopy deck in I will paint the entire inside of the fuselage.

Good stuff

Guys, thanks for the input. I guess I need to read section 32.

Smash - Intel could hire you to run their clean rooms. Where's all the dust and metal shavings??

Still have not decided about attaching the tail before paint, but probably.

I would defenitly attach the tail before painting. The large bulkheads just aft of the bagage area are installed after the tail is attached. This area is very visible and wont look very good if you have to touch up because you scratched the paint while bucking all the rivets. Its all pretty easy to get to even after the tail is joined espeacially if you lay the fuse on its side.

Maybe not the answer you were seeking, but paint after you have selected the color scheme for the entire aircraft. Interior, upholstery, panel and possible external colors. Get samples and consider them all, then select and paint the interior when it is convenient. This will save you some possible issues later on.

I prefer to paint the interior FIRST then build the plane. Sure, you need to be more careful, vacuum up the chips once in awhile, but it sure beats removing everything to paint or trying to mask and paint around stuff.

Besides, a few scratches just aren't gonna matter to most of us... and they'll likely be hidden by upholstery, or other components anyway.

Use green masking tape to layout on top of the paint, or find some Imron type paint (if it's even still possible) that resists Sharpie ink and just go crazy, then wipe off with IPA or acetone later.

That looks amazing. Mine is all masked-off and ready to paint. You should put this in the Project sticky so more folks can admire your work. Very nice!!

When you have been flying for a year it will be interesting to know if you would use gloss paint in your next project. Certainly looks good, but perhaps a satin finish would reduce reflections?
Pete

Good point. Rugs and side panels will be covering some of it and if glare is too bad I can always hit it with some 80 grit to knock down the sheen ;-) Can't wait to be at the point where I have flown it for a year so I can give you a report back!

rivet on...

Back