What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyTec 149NL separating - Keep an eye on them

chrisbryanolsen

Well Known Member
Patron
During my last oil change noticed some dark staining around where the motor meets the gearbox on the starter. Grabbed ahold of motor and it was loose!
There are some bent tabs to hold the two screws in place no locktite I could see. Pulled in a part and cleaned it up replaced the tabbed washers with lock washers (unlikely to help much) and blue locktite.

Due to the bad ground it was getting it was much more effective when starting it up. Spun up much faster, since it happened slowly I had not noticed it spinning slower.

Will keep a closer eye on now see how it does.

Lycoming_NL.jpg

I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Are you saying that you think it?s a bad ground causing the issue?

Mark

This is a known issue and there are plenty of threads on this. Much of the hardware is 10-32 and can be replaced with drilled head fasteners for safety wire. I've safetied my starter and is seems to be the fix for me.

Me too

Mine use to do that until I used locktite and it has been good ever since.

We have had two of these same problems with the Skytec (Hartzell) 149NL and they were sent to Hartzell for a fix. They know about this problem - it's happened before, and they are supposedly coming up with a fix.

Back