What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Splitting adsb in signal. What method/splitter did you use?

JonGruber85

Hi all. I have an avidyne MLB100 adsb in reciever that is wired directly from my adsb in antenna. I am now adding a dynon adsb in reciever to go to my skyview system. I am trying to split the coax to go to both boxes. So..... I have ordered this.

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...EJGIZgqkN2U3XMjBRMYHqROQaAny9EALw_wcB#faq_tab

But the range says 5-500mhz so I don't belive it will work for 1090 and 978 Adsb. Anyone have other solutions? Straight splicing the wires or using a different kind of splitter? Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance!

Jon

Just FYI...Garmin installation manuals suggest using that specific part for splitting a VOR signal from one antenna to two VOR receivers.

Maybe not directly applicable to your $$ IN receivers but for my stratux I just have a ?T? connector I bought on Amazon that feeds both receivers with one antenna. I haven?t tried it yet but some of the stratux kits have it included so it must work (at least to some degree).

Maybe not directly applicable to your $$ IN receivers but for my stratux I just have a ?T? connector I bought on Amazon that feeds both receivers with one antenna. I haven?t tried it yet but some of the stratux kits have it included so it must work (at least to some degree).

Interesting. I was trying to go the "correct" route by using aviation grade stuff. But if a 9$ Amazon part works...

Just FYI...Garmin installation manuals suggest using that specific part for splitting a VOR signal from one antenna to two VOR receivers.

Yeah I didn't read close enough at first glance. I assumed all coax signal/splitters were created equal. Thanks!

Interesting. I was trying to go the "correct" route by using aviation grade stuff. But if a 9$ Amazon part works...

Well technically a combiner/splitter would be the way to go. A simple T connector is going to cause some signal loss. I have IN only (UAT) and have my antenna on the glare shield. I just added the 1090 receiver but I just don?t want another antenna up there if I can help it.

After a conversation with SteinAir...

He didn't know 100% but he guessed a simple 10$ T connection would work. But in the end I've made the decision to get rid of the avidyne unit and go with just the dynon adsb in

Won't work. Even though you're dealing with receivers, without having isolation between the two, which cheap couplers don't provide, will cause the receivers to interfere with each other. A more expensive splitter will work but the signal is being split and there will be losses. Individual antennas will perform far better.

DON'T

Have to agree with Bob. Do NOT split a high frequency, low power, digital signal. The old VHF VOR splitters would work. At the high frequencies, losses are to significant. Just put an antenna on each receiver. The smallest stub, transponder antenna with a BNC is cheap, easy to install and work just fine.

The old VHF VOR splitters would work.

No a VOR splitter wouldn't work. It is essentially a bandpass filter tuned to VOR frequencies, which isn't even close 978/1090. Different makes of radios don't work well with VOR splitters unless the splitter has a very high level of frequency isolation of 30dB or better.

Back