- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Default Quiet Technologies Halo Pirep:

drmax sent me a pm requesting my opinion of the QT Halo headsets and his pm box is full and will not accept a reply so I will post a pirep here and everyone can read.
Greg,
I love my GT Halo's and use them almost exclusively. Although they have no ANR circuitry, they are actually quieter than my Zulu's in flight. I am flying my C-152 until my -10 is done. I usually only use my Zulu's on a quick flight or let the passenger wear them. I do love the bluetooth function of the Zulu's so so thats a trade off. The trick to using the Halo's is to really squeeze down the foam inserts and quickly insert the squished ear foam pieces deep into the ear so they expand and seal out any outside noise. They are extreemly comfortable to wear on long flights and I don't get the headache from the squeezing pressure traditional headsets give. They are great for wearing hats as the hat does not interfere and goes right over the support wire. I purchased mine at Oshkosh at QT's booth and there was a discount at the time. He had a demo set-up and when I tried them out, I was sold. Good price, quieter that my Zulu's, more comfortable. If you don't have a audio input jack, one can be installed in your -9 in little time probably. Try it. If you don't like them you can sell them here and only take a small $ loss. Good luck.
Dave

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM

Default head size matters

I fly with the Clarity Aloft. I lent them to a friend but he was not able to use them because they were not large enough to fit his head.

He bought the Halo is is very happy.

Last edited by rv7boy : 02-21-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM

I haven't flown in an RV with my Halo, but in the club 172 and 182 they're plenty quiet. Much quieter and clearer than my DCs, and a while lot more comfortable. I just have to watch not to snag the cable with my foot getting out of the plane. I like 'em, and so does my wife.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
I fly with the Clarity Aloft. I lent them to a friend but he was not able to sue them because they were not large enough to fit his head...
I just posted than removed a message that I had the same problem with my Clarity Alofts. I tried to use them last weekend for the first time and couldn't figure out any way to make them work. After posting the message, I decided it was time to do something about it. I went to the Clarity Aloft page and saw that the band goes behind the neck, not over the head. Oh, that works. If all else fails, read the directions. Hah!

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Halos

I bought myself and my wife a set of Halos two years ago.
We have never looked back. The only time i ever use the older head clamps is for passengers or if I am just taxing at our controlled field over to the pumps.

Only suggestion is to have a couple spare ear foams and a spare mic foam within reach. When cold, your all bulked up with stuff and reaching around and its cold ... when one falls off....good luck finding it.

The wife absolutely loves them, she could be their poster girl. Doesnt even mess her hair!

Osh 11,12,15,17. Sun N Fun 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 5 trips and 15 islands of the Bahamas too! Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM

I agree. Just been using mine for about a month now and so much better than my David Clarks that I had convered to ANR. There's a good thread about DIY replacement earbuds so there's really no ongoing cost. I'm in the process of making some of my own softer earplugs for cold temps. The stock ones tend to be too firm to expand well in cold temps. I've also found that a warm/hot water bath will clean and rejuvenate used plugs that have begun to take a permanent shape.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM

Default Halo's

I've been flying with mine for 5 years now, absolutely love them. Flew recently with a friend in his plane, he provided a set of Bose X, I wish I had my Halo's, a lot more comfortable and every bit as quiet if not quieter, I much prefer the Halo's.
I know I won't go back to a headvice headset.
O-360-Dual P mags-GRT EFIS-Tru-Trak AutoPilot
Flying as of 9/7/08
Finally painted 2/8/13
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5lp View Post
the band goes behind the neck, not over the head
My friend was trying to use them the correct way. He just has "one of those heads"

For him, the Halos fit much better.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
I agree. Just been using mine for about a month now and so much better than my David Clarks that I had convered to ANR. There's a good thread about DIY replacement earbuds so there's really no ongoing cost. I'm in the process of making some of my own softer earplugs for cold temps. The stock ones tend to be too firm to expand well in cold temps. I've also found that a warm/hot water bath will clean and rejuvenate used plugs that have begun to take a permanent shape.
Reading through all these replies and I'm convinced to go this direction. I think they have a 45 return policy. Also grinning about your comment on the warm water bath. I guess in a pinch, you could pop them in your mouth I'll give them a call, and order up a set.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM

Default different earbuds

Part of my issue with intercom, is having a matched set of headsets. Some questions...
I need independent volume control on the unit...I'm assuming it has this.

Also, I will not be wanting to spread ear wax from one to another. I imagine the tips are quick to change. My question...do they offer different sizes? My daughter and wife have smaller ear canals. Wife will not stick anything in her ear that is not comfortable. Very picky about this, as I guess anyone would be.
Thx, DM