VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM

So Sam, assuming I want to hard wire the thing instead of using an HT and other such doo-dads that will leave wires everywhere, how would you mount the GPS antenna? I suppose I could purchase another Garmin antenna that mounts permanently and uses a BNC connector....just curious how you would do it.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahugo View Post
So Sam, assuming I want to hard wire the thing instead of using an HT and other such doo-dads that will leave wires everywhere, how would you mount the GPS antenna? I suppose I could purchase another Garmin antenna that mounts permanently and uses a BNC connector....just curious how you would do it.
Hugo,

If you want a concealed installation, you might consider following Pete Howell's lead and mount the tracker, GPS, and j-pole antenna in a wingtip:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=26797

Completely out of sight and mind.

You can see the way I did it here:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/tracker.htm

Having said all that and looking at your profile, are you talking about installing the tracker in a plane or some other vehicle? The reference to HT (handheld transmitter??) and BNC makes me wonder if I understand your question...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:02 AM

Hugo,

I hope I'm reading your Q right, and not veering off-course with this thought. Whether you do the (very cool) wingtip install as Sam suggested, or keep it in the cockpit/behind the panel, I don't think you need another Garmin antenna, as Byonics sells one that fits well (GPS-2, $69).

I bought a GPS-2, mounted the "puck" on the glareshield, and ran the wire from it through the glareshield, then behind and below the panel to my tracker. The puck is quite small and is out of the way, the wire is 6' long (plenty long), and the DB-9 from it mates to the DB-9 on the RTG's dongle (or in my case, the DB-9 on the MT-8000FA). Only downside is that the hole in the glareshield has to be large enough to fit the DB-9 through (but the puck covers most of it afterwards). I need to take a pic of the install, but here's a web-file pic of the GPS-2:

The nice thing about the RTG is that you can tuck that remote DB-9 connection behind the panel. Heck, the RTG looks so small, it should be easy to tuck it all away. And if you cut off the 12V plug and hard-wire the power and ground, all you have left to do is plug the mini-din into one side of the tracker box, and screw the transmission antenna lead onto the SMA fitting on the other side of the tracker, wrap-nip-tuck it away, and your in biz.

Pretty cool set-up!

Hope that's on-target for what you were asking. Have fun!

Cheers,
Bob
Sport Class Air Racing "Race 49"
SARL "Race 49"
West Coast Ravens FFI RV Formation Squadron
APRS Track
Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N42AH View Post
Now all we need is a dedicated APRS site for our APRS equipped RV's so we can easily spot those that are aviating.
Steve, here is a little script I wrote to track whose currently flying:
http://www.aclog.com/aprs/
www.eaa242.org/
N194MH first flight on 08-26-12
Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Default RE:MT-RTG set up!!!!

While I await the FCC call sign I am planning for / purchasing the stuff / and getting ready to install the MT-RTG in my RV7A.

What follows is my first blush notion on where to install the tracker.

Port side baggage wall with the MT-RTG velcroed on the side wall. Electrical will be provided by a SteinAir supplied cigarette lighter (power point) receptacle (installed on the F722 Bulkhead) connected to a switch on the panel. The antenna will be 1/4 wave whip on the belly just aft of the main spar on the port side (Sam B. style). The antenna to MT-RTG will be connected by RG-6 coax (would probably use RG-58 but can't find any locally). The GPS puck will sit just aft of the bow on the F757 gusset. (???? I am not sure if this will give a clear veiw of the sky.....)

My reason for this set up was ease of wire/coax runs. Ease of portability. Clean/out of the way installation position???????

My second option is jpole with the MT-RTG and GPS in the wing tip. My main problem with this is portability. Electrical setup complications.

Third option is to put the MT-RTG behind the panel. Ease of elecrical setup. GPS on the glare sheild. Antenna ????????? Coax runs not as convient wheather to the wing tip (jpole) or the belly whip antenna.....

Any ideas, suggestions, novel approaches, ......... that I may have over looked.

Frank @ 1L8 ..RV7A.. Flying getting ready to track!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstringham7a View Post
The GPS puck will sit just aft of the bow on the F757 gusset. (???? I am not sure if this will give a clear veiw of the sky.....)

Frank @ 1L8 ..RV7A.. Flying getting ready to track!!!!!!!!!
Frank, don't worry about the GPS. It is a tenacious little receiver and will lock on if it has the slightest glimpse of the sky.

Sounds like you are getting close to finalizing your tracker installation!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Default RTG tracker

I received my RTG in the mail yesterday. I dashed right out to the car, plugged it into the power and connected the magnet mount that I use with my HT. It powered up and started sending packets just as advertised. Preloaded with my callsign, N number and everything. It could not be more simple.

I had been using my VX-8R in the airplane and I thought that was about as easy as it could get. This is much better. I'll wait until my condition inspection in July to install it in the airplane but anyone that wants to get a APRS system going without a lot of the trouble of configuration should get one of these.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Which Bionics APRS model is currently being recommended for aircraft installation? I took the Technician Class exam today. As soon as I receive my call sign I would like to place an order.

I plan to install Kate’s antenna (twin lead) and the entire unit in the wingtip.

Thanks
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 06-30-2012, 07:49 PM

I installed the Micro-Trak RTG (Ready To Go) FA and GPS2 antenna along with the competing antenna to the "Kate" ( my aprs antenna was made by her older brother )

The system works great!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
I installed the Micro-Trak RTG (Ready To Go) FA and GPS2 antenna along with the competing antenna to the "Kate" ( my aprs antenna was made by her older brother )

Glen,

The system works great!
There are two models that may apply:

Micro-Trak RTG-FA, GPS/Antenna combo (Its only costs a $1 less to purchase the GPS without the antenna)
or
Micro-Trak RTG-FA, High Altitude combo

I assume the first model is what you have installed.

Thanks,
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 06-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.