VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Russia

Vlad! We have to chat sometime soon. I want to pick your brain about flying in Russia .

Rik, that pic I posted above of the 202kt ground speed is pretty typical. The -7 likes to hang out b/w 8.5-11.5k' MSL. Dialed back to 2400 RPM, I consistently see 160-165 KTAS at those altitudes depending on temp, DA, etc. burning ~8 gph. But, I haven't tracked it that close. I care much more about a smooth happy engine than squeezing an extra knot or GPH out of the plane. It did make it from Grand Junction to San Marcos non-stop, though. So, I think it's doing pretty well!

Avgas was not difficult to find at all. Piston aircraft are in wide use in the Caribbean.

Also, I didn't have an autopilot for the trip. There were times when it would have been nice. But, I didn't ever really need one. The -7 flies pretty much hands off when it's trimmed up and the fuel is balanced. Super stable aircraft despite being a total blast to fly.

Last edited by Chattin35 : 05-28-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: forgot to answer avgas questions
Old 05-28-2018, 09:41 PM

Stellar! Unbelievable trip!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 05-29-2018, 01:22 AM

Awesome! Awesome! Chris... I canít wait to hear more about it. Tammi and I followed your adventure in total amazement. Glad youíre back home. What an experience...
Old 05-29-2018, 07:06 AM

Great trip.....
Thanks for taking the time to post pics and share the adventure with us.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 AM

Livin' the dream! you tapped into my bucket list. Thanks for the "ride along"!
Old 05-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Hard to come back?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
Hard to come back?
Not going to lie. I miss the islands.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the great trip write up! How much were some of the fees at the FBOs in the Caribbean?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Thanks for the great trip write up! How much were some of the fees at the FBOs in the Caribbean?
Yeah, me too. I'd be curious about the longterm tie down fees especially.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 06-01-2018, 02:00 PM

Default FBO Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Yeah, me too. I'd be curious about the longterm tie down fees especially.
The Bahamas were expensive. They dinged me $200 for an overnight. But, they did all the paperwork for me (flight plan, customs, gen decs, etc) and got me a hotel, ride, etc.

The DR charged me $50 for "services" which was basically calling a fuel truck and stamping the paperwork. I've heard they also help find transportation and hotels and act as a p.o.c. liaison, provide "security", etc. But, I didn't use any of that.

Millionare at Isla Grande (Puerto Rico) charged us $50 for four hours of parking one afternoon. They would only waive part of it for 20 gal of gas minium. I offered to buy some oil to make up the difference since we didn't need 20 gal, but they wouldn't budge. I even rented a car from them for the afternoon. Major ripoff. They literally did nothing for us for that $50. When we got back, there was a truck parked 6'' from the wing leading edge. Yikes! Will never do business with Millionare again.

Long term tie down in St Thomas was $70/mo. They wanted to charge me $25/night at first. But, I was like, "No way! Are those planes getting charged $25/day?" while pointing to the many wrecked/hurricane damaged ones scattered around the ramp. They backed down after that and gave me a number to get on the long term tie down list.

On the way back, I'd learned enough about the paperwork, cleaning customs, etc. from flying around a bunch, that I was able to do most of it myself and avoid the FBO fees.

Culebra, Anegada, Cieba, Rincon, Grand Junction, San Marcos, Miami Homestead, Fredricksburg, Spruce Creek, Las Cruces, Telluride were all awesome places to stop. Zero or negligible fees.