- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-20-2018, 04:44 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrskygod View Post
Gil - I live in the area Vlad was referencing the unmarked balloons. These are not charted and are moved to different locations periodically. They usually fly them at less than 2500'. They have cameras and surveillance equipment on board to monitor traffic around the Rio Grande river and surrounding ranch land. There are actually more than two in the area from Laredo to Brownsville, TX there must be at least 5 or 6, however they rarely fly at the same time. During the daytime they are easily seen and avoided. I am sure there are more along the southern border all the way to California. There are also larger aerostat balloons that can go up to about 10,000' if I recall, and those are depicted on the charts. So if you are flying within 40 miles of the border better keep your eyes open.

Boyd - if you get to the Edinburg, TX KEBG area let me know as there is hanger space and accommodations for you if the timing is right.
Thanks for the info... this is where the CBP says the big ones are..

Do the lower ones get NOTAMs?

The above pic came from here - https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/frontl...mber-aerostats

Not sure how old the article is, but it said the smaller ones are used in your area.

"Tactical aerostats are proving very effective in southwest Texas," said Rob Brown. "Recently a Border Patrol agent was using a tactical aerostat camera to watch a pickup truck driving up and down a road several times. On its fifth pass, it stopped in the middle of the road and six people with bales ran out of the bushes, stuffed them in the back of the truck, and ran back into the bushes. The Border Patrol agent was watching all of this. The vehicle sped off with Border Patrol in pursuit. The tactical aerostat extends the Border Patrol's eyes and ears with these sensor and surveillance systems operating at altitude," Brown explained.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 05-20-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Call me up. Im in SE Florida.

Iím near BCT. BOCA RATON FLA. north of Fort Lauderdale. Always welcome here. Also. An tell you about flying in Florida. Jerry.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Will enjoy watching your progress!

Lower Alabama (LA) has significant rain and thunder activity in mid afternoon for the next couple of months, or so. It can appear quickly and coverage can be wide.

There is a nice corridor along the Florida panhandle for east-west travel which can be enjoyable and keep you clear of all the restricted spaces throughout the area.

Have a wonderful time!

Mike
Old 05-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Hey, let us know if you show up at KHAF (just south of SF on the coast). My lady loves taildraggers, too! Have a great trip; looking forward to reading the pireps.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Working the baffles
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 05-21-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Birchler View Post
My wife and I will be flying our RV7 around the perimeter of America over the next 6 weeks. lifetime/"]http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com/blog/u-s-a-perimeter-flight-planning-the-adventure-of-a-lifetime/[/url]
Near Outer Banks suggestion - - Boyd / Judy, You might try a stop in Elizabeth City, NC (KECG) - convenient to the outer banks and reasonable fuel etc. Wonderful Airbnb as well - - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6142353
Old 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM

Gil - the smaller ones are not NOTAM'ed. You never know where or when they will be up. They are hard to miss tho as they are pretty big and easily seen. The surveillance camera onboard is amazing. You can see what color of shirt someone is wearing 15 miles into Mexico.
Maule M5-235C SOLD
C-172G SOLD
Stinson L5 SOLD
Grumman AA1A SOLD
Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrskygod View Post
Gil - the smaller ones are not NOTAM'ed. You never know where or when they will be up. They are hard to miss tho as they are pretty big and easily seen. The surveillance camera onboard is amazing. You can see what color of shirt someone is wearing 15 miles into Mexico.
Good job we usually have good visibilities in our neck of the woods isn't it?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Today we departed KIAG Niagara Falls, flew the Lake Ontario shoreline, across the top of Vermont & New Hampshire, across the mountains to 59B, Jackman, Maine. We were late departing so suffered through a whole lot of very bumpy air. It was gusting 30 when we landed but at least down the runway.
A bumpy flight. Note to self: next time cross the rough stuff EARLY in the day!

Absolutely beautiful view flying the southern shore of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Approach to 59B, Newton Airport, Moose River/Jackman, Maine. Luckily those 30 mph gusts were down the runway. Many thanks to our new friend at Jackman, Jim Schoenmann, for taking us to town and helping us find a cabin for overnight.

Sally Mountain Cabins. $38 bucks pp x 2 with 5 beds to spare! 3 in the loft.

Our choices; a double, 3 singles in the loft and a set of bunk beds too. I was thinking ‘maybe’ till Boyd hollered a loud NO! to my bunk beds idea. ��

Snug as a bug tonight in this real-deal cabin.

The full LadiesLoveTaildraggers post at http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.co...jackman-maine/

Last edited by Boyd Birchler : 05-21-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Kind of obvious Judy is often my ghost writer...
Old 05-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Absolutely will take a look, thanks for the suggestion.