VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-16-2016, 06:33 PM

Vlad, Make sure you don't miss North Fox Island, just opened last year. This is a wilderness island, no population, no buildings, no electricity, no phone service, no emergency services, you get the idea. What it is, an absolutely beautiful grass strip on a small island in the middle of northern Lake Michigan. My son and I visited it a month ago and we were the only people there for the week. Beautiful beaches! Restored and maintained by VAF.

PS: not yet on most charts or even ForeFlight, and don't land on South Fox island, visitors not welcome!!!!! Private and off limits!

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner View Post
Island airlines flew several Fords on scheduled routes until the early70's, but then had couple of accidents and moved on to a Beaver and an Otter for their passenger service.

Middle Bass Island, perhaps 1971. My brother Mark and I were frequent flyers. Early influences matter, both those little kids went on to become deeply involved in aviation, and RV's. Funny thing, I can't remember where I put my keys five minutes ago, but I can recall the rides on that airplane with amazing clarity.
You're not alone. I can remember my first airplane ride around 1954 with amazing clarity. I got to ride the Ford at Rockford EAA several times. I can't remember the price but I do remember a ride in Jerry Walbrun's P51 was $20. I never did the 51.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner View Post
Island airlines flew several Fords on scheduled routes until the early70's, but then had couple of accidents and moved on to a Beaver and an Otter for their passenger service.

Middle Bass Island, perhaps 1971. My brother Mark and I were frequent flyers. Early influences matter, both those little kids went on to become deeply involved in aviation, and RV's. Funny thing, I can't remember where I put my keys five minutes ago, but I can recall the rides on that airplane with amazing clarity.
what a picture!

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs14855 View Post
I come up with 16 charted airports. You may know of some that are not on the charts.
Are you guys counting Canadian islands too? I tried to count, and came up with 12 islands with public use airports on the US side, 11 of which I've been to. We need a uniform list. :-)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:36 PM

Default Islands

I did not count total islands. At least one island has two airports. At least one Canadian airport. 7 airports just in P I B area one is private.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:24 AM

N. FOX ISLAND:
My Girlfriend calls that place "Jurassic Park".
We had an incredible amount of insects swarming around us (July).
Also seen quite a few snakes.
The beach lunch we packed was yummy however.

We had to take a steep sand hill near a cement pad down to the beach area.
IS there any other easier access to the beach???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Vlad, Make sure you don't miss North Fox Island, just opened last year. This is a wilderness island, no population, no buildings, no electricity, no phone service, no emergency services, you get the idea. What it is, an absolutely beautiful grass strip on a small island in the middle of northern Lake Michigan. My son and I visited it a month ago and we were the only people there for the week. Beautiful beaches! Restored and maintained by VAF.

PS: not yet on most charts or even ForeFlight, and don't land on South Fox island, visitors not welcome!!!!! Private and off limits!
Old 10-17-2016, 02:58 PM

We were there end of September and no bugs at all except dragon flies when we left. Also, we only walked to the South beach, a very short walk of a couple hundred feet on a nice path down to the beach.

Everyone keeps asking me about snakes! Didn't see any!

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Also, we only walked to the South beach, a very short walk of a couple hundred feet on a nice path down to the beach.

Where was this trail in relation to the runway?
Was there a steep hill down to the beach?

We used to narrow trail(overgrown by weeds) on the southeast side of runway. It was long and curvy. Sounds like it was 4 or 5 times longer than the one you used? Had to climb a steep sand hill down to the water. The beach was directly across from the South Fox Island.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:45 PM

There are trails at each end of the runway. The northeast trail (the runway is more east-west than north-sourth) is a longer hike through the woods, perhaps a quarter mile. The southwest trail is short, as described by Paul, and more commonly used, as it is right next to the camp site. Here is a view looking towards the west. Campsite and short trail are at the far end of the runway.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:53 PM

The Put-in-Bay Visitors & Convention Bureau would like to welcome pilots to our island paradise! We are here to assist you from 8 am to 8 pm daily, and assist you with anything Put-in-Bay Related. Our number should you require assistance is 888-742-7829.

Our airport is open from dawn to dusk and the runway is not lit. We have no fuel service on site and the closest fuel is in Port Clinton PCW airport. When you arrive, the airport is basically in the middle of the island. Most folks here get around on golf carts which are driven like cars. Pilots can reserve them before arrival here.

Should you decide to spend an evening, we have several Put-in-Bay Hotels & Resorts here on the island offering a variety of accommodations. We have a wide variety of restaurants & pubs most with live entertainment.

Should you require any preflight planning or assistance while you are here, please feel free to contact us!

Last edited by putinbay : 06-01-2018 at 02:01 PM.