What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antennas

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Hey all,

Working on mounting antennas and had a couple of questions for the group.

1. I have the Aerosport overhead console. Has anyone had luck mounting a GA-35 or GA-57X antenna between the console and the cabin top? I don't have the antennas in hand but the drawing measurements would indicate that there is insufficient room...Thought I'd ask.

2. Assuming I have to mount the GA-35 on the exterior of the cabin top, anyone have any tips before I drill holes? The cabin top in that area is fairly thick (between the door hinges).

Thanks!

Don't think so...

Not sure why...

I only have about 1.5" between the cabin top and the overhead console, at the most.

Looking at the antenna dimensions, I need 1.5" PLUS the 90 degree connector, which is going to be well over 1.5".

Does your installation deform the aluminum panel cover in the overhead console?

One of the recesses of the two is deeper, true my antenna wouldn?t fit in one but did in the other with a 90 deg connector.

If you decide to mount the antennas externally, please be aware that Van's advises against drilling any holes in the RV-10 fiberglass canopy that are not called for in their plans, as the cabin top is a structural element of the aircraft. If you follow this advice, it precludes holes for antennas.

I was able to fit both GPS antennas, plus a com antenna and an ELT antenna on the aluminum tail cone top of my RV-10, while maintaining recommended ground planes and distances between antennas.

I realize there are a number of RV-10s with antennas mounted through the fiberglass top, and as with all things in Experimental aircraft it is up to you as the builder to decide where you want to mount them.

Cheers,

I made a bracket that attached to the rear access cover and used a 90 degree fitting. The top is thinner there and I had enough room. If you want I can send you a picture.

Thanks!

A picture would be great!

I need to mount 2 antennas and comply with Garmin recommendations, so one is going to have to mount forward...

Back