What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying with hot mag

kstone

I understand the potential problem of an inadvertent start with a hot mag, but is there any issue flying the plane with one? My on field repair facility won't touch a P-Mag, so I need to take it somewhere else. Thanks in advance!

The P-mags work the same as a standard magneto, complete with P-lead.

If the P-lead is grounded, then the P-mag won't fire. Better you, can pull the breaker to the P-mag and have it grounded and you increase the probability two fold they won't fire.

Check your PM's.

What do you mean by flying it with a hot mag? Disconnected from the switch? It certainly won't hurt anything. You just have to shut down by pulling the mixture if there is any problem in flight associated with ignition.

Vic

Hot Mag

If the mag is hot because the P lead is disconnected or broken somewhere along its length make sure vibration or flight loads won?t allow it to ground and shut the mag off.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I've heard of a mag malfunctioning and causing the engine to run rough, kind of like skipping a gear or something, and it would be possible to smooth it out by shutting the mag off. If you can't shut it, that could be a problem. Rare? Sure but I COULD happen.

Also you want to have the right mag off for starting, to avoid kickback. I don't know enough about P mags though, maybe they retard on start like an impulse coupling?

Back