What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Concerns About Buying a Partially Built 7A QB

zemon

Folks,

I have run across a partially built 7A QB kit and have a few concerns which I hope y'all can help me with.

First, the seller has about 350 hours into the project. He has completed the empenage (250 hours) and started on the fuselage (100 hours). Wings are still in the crates as Van's shipped them. Will this amount of work already done keep me from earning the repairman's cert? Do I need to do anything particular to improve my chances of getting the repairman's cert?

I have been told several times that the instructions on the empenage kit hold your hand and guide you through things step-by-step, unlike the instructions in the other three kits. This will be my first airplane build and my first time working with sheet metal, though I am pretty handy with tools. How much of a hinderance will it be to dive into this project with the empenage already done? Will taking the EAA SportAir RV workshop give me the skills I would have gotten from building the empenage? Other ideas?

Finally, exciting as this possibility is, it has the downside of accelerating the need for cash. Would it be reasonable to build this with a basic VFR panel and then, after flying/enjoying/savoring the plane for a year or so, gut the panel and replace it with the IFR panel that I really want? Or should I build the IFR panel from the outset?

Thanks,
-- Art Z.

experience...

wow, without any previous experience jumping into a partially started quick build with the tail complete will likely leave you significantly behind the curve at every step... consider doing a new tail from scratch to gain significant connection to the details, tools, and layers of fabrication, fitting, assembly, and general construction before you dive into the rest of the parts. the fuselage is significantly more involved than the wings or tail and relies on a skill set that has been gained in getting there. also, you will get over the hump for any issues on the repairman certificate.

As far as the repairman certificate, that will be up to the FAA inspector. Most inspectors have been known to be somewhat lenient on this issue. Usually if you can show that you have constructed enough of the aircraft to be competent to perform the condition inspection, they will issue the certificate.
On the experience question, I would recommend attending one of the sheet metal workshops. This will tell you if you will enjoy the building process and give you a headstart.

my $.02

Another thought would be to put the fuselage aside and build the wings. The wing instuctions are almost as detailed as the empennage insturctions.
I would also read the emp instructions as if I were building it and refer to the finished pieces as reference, peering inside with inspection mirror and flashlight.

I did exactly what you are contemplating as my first build experience and now have an RV-7A that I am proud of. Take the sheet metal course to convince yourself this isnt rocket science. All the information you need and more is easily available from Vans, various builder websites, and this forum. My only caution is to be realistic - the build process is a large time committment; however, your patience and perseverence will be rewarded a thousand times over. If you want this, it will happen.

erich

Removing the plastic

Van's has a nice letter on their web site for folks who are considering buying a second hand RV kit. Among lots of good info, it says, "The plastic that coats the aluminum may be (extremely) hard to remove if the parts have been stored for many years, especially in hot climates." The empenage of this kit is from 2002; the wings and fuselage are from 2003.

If the plastic is going to be "extremely" hard to remove, is there any way to tell before buying the kit? Is it fair to ask to peel significant chunks of it away to test? And if it is stuck on, how is it best removed?

Thanks,
-- Art Z.

Since no one address the VFR/IFR issue, I would highly recommend building it the way you want it as it would be a major work to redo the panel and wiring, of course this would some what depending on type of equipment you are going to use to convert it to IFR.
In regards to the building and experience required? I was thinking of the same thing when I built my 7A and was thinking of buying an already built empennage to save some time and a bit of $$$
I choose not to and was extremely happy about that. The experience that you gain in building the empennage is almost necessary for continuing on with the rest of the project. But then again, depending on how much the savings are in purchasing this kit and whether the fues is also QB or just the wing.

Good luck
Mehrdad RV7A

I have been told several times that the instructions on the empenage kit hold your hand and guide you through things step-by-step, unlike the instructions in the other three kits. This will be my first airplane build and my first time working with sheet metal, though I am pretty handy with tools. How much of a hindrance will it be to dive into this project with the empenage already done? Will taking the EAA SportAir RV workshop give me the skills I would have gotten from building the empenage? Other ideas?

Thanks,
-- Art Z.

I say go for it.

Here is a suggestion.

First, if you arent already a member of EAA, join. Get into a local chapter, and with any luck you can find someone who is building a metal airplane, hopefully a RV:D. Talk to them about volunteering your time to help, and make it understood that this is going to be a learning experience for you.

In addition to learning about building planes, you will end up with a new friend or two.]

Good luck.

The empenage of this kit is from 2002; the wings and fuselage are from 2003.

If the plastic is going to be "extremely" hard to remove, is there any way to tell before buying the kit? Is it fair to ask to peel significant chunks of it away to test? And if it is stuck on, how is it best removed?

Yes, I'd say asking to peel off a chunk is totally fair. Also you can then check for filliform (sp? I don't remember - someone correct me) corrosion that can develop between the plastic and the aluminum.

If you choose to build your own emp. kit remimber that the serial number for aircraft is that given to the emp kit. So you will have two kit serial numbers. Make sure Van's is aware of you intentions so you can get the proper bill of sale for registration. At least you will have a head start on you second RV. WARNING: building can become addictive. ::D

Back