What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical card compass compensation

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Is it possible that the 8 degree or so panel angle makes it more difficult to swing a VCC? In my case it's a PAI-700 in the panel, away from big power, no difference engine running, non running, a smidge (a twitch, 2 deg?) when transmitting. I can compensate N-S, but E-W I'm way out - 15 degrees or so. It's a tip up, so no steel. Brass screws.

Full disclosure, I might have over-adjusted the compensation elements at some point - could I have permanently damaged it?

Thanks, Rick

I can compensate N-S, but E-W I'm way out - 15 degrees or so.

My original swing of the compass had my N/S off by 10-12 degrees and only a few degrees off E/W. A year after started flying, I tried again and did not inprove but made it a little more even. I was able to get N/S down to 5-7 degree error at the expense 4-5 degree of E/W error. I determined good enough and have never looked at the compass again in 10 years of flying.

Swing

The way we swing our compasses (we'll over 50 aircraft a year) is to point north and adjust to 0. Swing west and adjust to 270. Swing to south and adjust to 1/2 the deviation. Hopefully not over 4 degrees. Swing to 90 and adjust 1/2 deviation. Again not over 4 degrees. Recheck north. Should be within 4 degrees. If out restart. Don't split difference. RESTART. We validate against AHRS and can't be out over 4 degrees. We use a certified calibrated master compass and have aircraft powered up in flight configuration. We are calibrating a SIRS compass and not familiar with VCC but principle should be same. If compass won't calibrate I would look towards faulty compass. Remember flight configuration....

Helped install the same one in a Warrior. We could never get it callibrated. It turned out we over adjusted it and it had to go back for repairs.

Back