What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An A&P/AI question: which logbook?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Is there a rule or rule of thumb that defines what goes into an engine vs an airframe logbook? Some things seem like they could go in either, like fuel lines from the collator to the fuel pump; its bolted to the engine, but part of the fuel system arguably. Likewise EGTs sensors, bolted but the engine could care less. One step further, even the alternator is in the grey zone. Any thoughts on the grey zone would help. Thanks.

More qualified answers will follow, but my guy says his rule of thumb is if the engine requires the item to run, you put it in the engine book.

Basic rule of thumb......

If it would go with the engine, if sold separately, it should go in the engine logs.
Nothing says it can't go in both logbooks.

Which log

If you take your engine off and send it out for overhaul everything left behind is technically airframe parts. This includes starter, alternator, exhaust, baffles, cowl & spinner, lord mounts ect. I agree if it's a close call it should go in both books.

Don Broussard A&P, IA, ATP

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Piper Pacer

Thanks Don. For some reason, when you said it in those words, its easy to make a logbook distinction.

If you take your engine off and send it out for overhaul everything left behind is technically airframe parts. This includes starter, alternator, exhaust, baffles, cowl & spinner, lord mounts ect. I agree if it's a close call it should go in both books.

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Piper Pacer

There certainly is a gray zone. Alternator, I would out in the engine logbook. Egt sensors I would out in the airframe logbook because the instrument is I side. Baffles I would out in the engine logbook. Fuel system I would out in the airframe logbook if it is firewall aft. Firewall to engine I may put in both, but certainly in the engine logbook.

This is the standard that most professional mechanics and shops use.

Logbooks

Oil & filter changes, spark plug cleaning, gapping or replacement, mag work or timing adjustment, carb or fuel injector inlet screens and engine gasket replacement are examples that are commonly entered in the engine log.

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress
1957 Piper Pacer

For me, if a part is in the engine parts manual, I use the engine logbook. That'll work for my RV-3B when it gets done, too. On my certified plane, I put whatever's in the aircraft parts manual in the airframe logbook.

The prop has its own logbook, an additional one.

Dave

Airframe logs

If experimential airplane and engine is not certified, all entries can just go in Airframe logbook and no engine logbook is required. However, if engine is certified, then you'll want to put all engine maint in engine logbook.

True, BUT..........

If experimential airplane and engine is not certified, all entries can just go in Airframe logbook and no engine logbook is required. However, if engine is certified, then you'll want to put all engine maint in engine logbook.

This would make it very difficult to sell the engine down the road when you decide on an upgrade. An aircraft engine really should have it's own individual maintenance records.

This is what the FAA inspector told me also, during my A/W inspection, but Mel has a point also.......hum?

Back