What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 88 Install

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Anyone install the GDL 88 on their own?

I am looking to get ADS-B compliant and see that with my GNS 430W and GTX 327 the GDL 88 would make me compliant and get me ADS-B info in to my GNS 430W.

I would like a larger map, currently my iPad mini is the best map I have but wonder if a G3X might fit the bill, I think I would still need a GDL 88 to be compliant or get the GTX 330ES.

As far as the GDL 88 does this have to be installed by and avionics shop or can I get it and a harness and do the install myself like I did with the 430W?

Thanks

Anyone install the GDL 88 on their own?

I am looking to get ADS-B compliant and see that with my GNS 430W and GTX 327 the GDL 88 would make me compliant and get me ADS-B info in to my GNS 430W.

I would like a larger map, currently my iPad mini is the best map I have but wonder if a G3X might fit the bill, I think I would still need a GDL 88 to be compliant or get the GTX 330ES.

As far as the GDL 88 does this have to be installed by and avionics shop or can I get it and a harness and do the install myself like I did with the 430W?

Thanks

Hello Mike,

While it is true that the GDL88/GNS 430W/GTX327 is one option, it is probably not the best option if you are considering a G3X system (and we are glad you are!).

We think if you compare the GDL88 cost ($3,500+) against a $2,200 GTX23ES transponder and a $799 GDL39R dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather receiver, combined with the ability to display your free ADS-B traffic and weather on the G3X, you will agree that this is by far the better option.

GDL39R
pd-01-md.jpg

GTX23ES
GTX23ES.jpg

family-single.png

The GDL88 interface is not compatible with G3X, so you would need to use the 430W for your traffic and weather display with that option.

A G3X or G3X Touch system with GTX23ES/GDL39R/GNS430W - great combination for ADS-B In/Out and full 2020 compliance.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

I like

Hello Mike,

While it is true that the GDL88/GNS 430W/GTX327 is one option, it is probably not the best option if you are considering a G3X system (and we are glad you are!).

We think if you compare the GDL88 cost ($3,500+) against a $2,200 GTX23ES transponder and a $799 GDL39R dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather receiver, combined with the ability to display your free ADS-B traffic and weather on the G3X, you will agree that this is by far the better option.

GDL39R
pd-01-md.jpg

GTX23ES
GTX23ES.jpg

family-single.png

The GDL88 interface is not compatible with G3X, so you would need to use the 430W for your traffic and weather display with that option.

A G3X or G3X Touch system with GTX23ES/GDL39R/GNS430W - great combination for ADS-B In/Out and full 2020 compliance.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

That does sound like a good option. I already us the GDL39 its gen model and love how it talks with my iPad mini.

I had not thought of this combination. I was thinking the G3x to replace my current back up attitude system so I would not use the EMS functionality. I want to get a larger moving map without adding a lot of expense, and I don't want to get into a huge panel upgrade, at least not at this point.

Thanks for the info, too bad I can't make it to OSH for close up look. Would I be able to see some of this stuff down in Salem, I will be down to Independence is a couple weeks and could stop by.

Cheers

Hello Mike,

GDL39R
pd-01-md.jpg

GTX23ES
GTX23ES.jpg

family-single.png

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,
I didn't see your advice to use the GTX23 GDL 39R option until after purchasing a GDL 88.
So, I'm considering how to go forward towards a G3X, with a GTN 650 traffic and WX display, a GTX 327 control head.
This brings up a few questions:
1. Will the GDL 88 suspress the GTX 327 from receiving and transmitting thus eliminating the need for a GTX 327 antenna connection? If so, I wouldn't need another 978 antenna. I could use the existing transponder antenna by disconnecting it from the GTX327 and connecting it to the GDL88.
2. Please verify that the ARINC GTN 650 G3X connection will not pass traffic and WX to the G3X - to get that data on a G3X display requires a MFD and GDL39.
Your the best,
Kent Wright

Hi Steve,
I didn't see your advice to use the GTX23 GDL 39R option until after purchasing a GDL 88.
So, I'm considering how to go forward towards a G3X, with a GTN 650 traffic and WX display, a GTX 327 control head.
This brings up a few questions:
1. Will the GDL 88 suspress the GTX 327 from receiving and transmitting thus eliminating the need for a GTX 327 antenna connection? If so, I wouldn't need another 978 antenna. I could use the existing transponder antenna by disconnecting it from the GTX327 and connecting it to the GDL88.
2. Please verify that the ARINC GTN 650 G3X connection will not pass traffic and WX to the G3X - to get that data on a G3X display requires a MFD and GDL39.
Your the best,
Kent Wright

Hello Kent,

You would need to install separate antennas for both the GTX 327 and the GDL 88. They cannot share an antenna.

You are correct that any traffic and weather the GTN 650 receives from a GDL 88 is not usable by the G3X system.

Thanks,
Steve

Back