What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180 newbi question

Shadetree

Well Known Member
I have the D180 in my 8A and will be installing a the Dynon servos and AP74 when my order gets delivered.
Do I update my D180 now with the newest version or wait until I have everything installed and powered up?
This is all new to me and I could use some advise.
Thanks

Updating is a pain in the neck. I would wait and see if/how it works first with the current software.

Thanks Jesse. I was hoping that by loading the newest version might help in my compass calibration. I can't seem to get it where I want it.

Wait until all units are connected

I have the D180 in my 8A and will be installing a the Dynon servos and AP74 when my order gets delivered.
Do I update my D180 now with the newest version or wait until I have everything installed and powered up?
This is all new to me and I could use some advise.
Thanks

You're better off waiting on a firmware update until all your components are connected to the DSAB bus. You can do it prior to that but as you add components, you will have to perform another update so they are all on the same software version. Good news is the software has not changed for a couple of years so chances are everything will match up. I did have a bad roll servo that I had to send back to Dynon for repair. It had been in the wing for a few years while I finished the rest of the airplane. Dynon fixed the servo at no charge even past the stated warranty. Great company, with great support.

Here's the info straight from page 8-2 of the D180 install manual:

DSAB Firmware Compatibility
All Dynon instruments connected via DSAB must be running the same firmware version (currently version 5.4). This applies to the servos and AP74 as well. Because the servos and AP74 are updated via the DSAB Bus Master EFIS (the EFIS that you wish to control the AP, and from which you run the CONFIGURE DSAB command), wait until complete mechanical and electrical installation before performing the software upgrade steps. See Firmware Upgrades Required For AP Functionality on page 8-13 for more information

Thanks Jesse. I was hoping that by loading the newest version might help in my compass calibration. I can't seem to get it where I want it.

I struggled with compass calibration a couple of times on my D100. They made some updates to help with this and I would recommend the upgrade. However, I can't say for sure that the upgrade was the key for me. It may have been coincidence.

Larry

Back