What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ME406 error codes

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I think I have problems. Started the C.I yesterday and checked the ELT. G-switch test was fine, and the functional test also gave the sweep tones. But when I switched back to "Arm" instead of one flash of the light I got three flashes, then 4 more. A second check of the G-switch (not connected to the airplane) still gave the sweep tones but then the light on the ELT flashed 3 times, then 4. Battery is good until 2021. Anyone else run into this?

Wayne 120241/143WM

When you tested it was the fuel tank installed with the antenna and ELT installed in the final flight set up? What does the C.I. mean? Annual?:)Back when we first started building the 12 you got different test responses from the ELT unless everything was installed and ready for flight. Not having the fuel tank installed definitely caused to not test correctly.;)

If you are testing the unit without the antenna connected (and the antenna connected to a ground plain) then you are likely to get these errors. Note that if you have caused the unit to transmit without an antenna connected there is some possibility the unit's RF power amplifier section has been damaged.

A good rule with any radio equipment and especially with ELTs, is to not touch them unless an appropriate antenna is connected. (Note: for a 406MHz ELT, using a "rubber ducky" antenna from your VHF handheld radio does NOT count as "an appropriate antenna".)

Tank was installed; Shorting plug was installed for the G-switch test

Shorting plug was installed for the G-switch test

What method are you using to test the G switch? How do you let NOAA know you are testing the 406? The old 121.5 units have the grace period to test on the hour, but the new 406 units don?t seem to be covered.

What method are you using to test the G switch? How do you let NOAA know you are testing the 406? The old 121.5 units have the grace period to test on the hour, but the new 406 units don?t seem to be covered.

The first 406 Mhz transmit burst occurs 50 seconds after initial activation, and it only takes a few seconds to confirm it activated.

This is covered in the ELT testing section of the AIM

Problem found

One of the really riny black wires (apparently to the buzzer??) was broken at the crimp connection. Now have three audible sweeps and only one flash after doing back to arm position. Scott is right- satellite ignores transmissions under 50 seconds-- no need to notify NOAA.

Wayne

Back