- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2018, 05:22 PM

Default TESTING - 3 blade prop in RV-12 iS

Was at Van's yesterday - looking around, returning parts that I over-ordered, picking up new parts. Walked out to the hanger to look at what's new just as Scott returned from an iS demo flight. Beautiful airplane! Noticed that they are 'testing a three blade prop. Asked if it was a CATO prop and if it was ok to list that info here. Was told that it was likely (not sure) a CATO, that they were testing it, and that it was ok to post here. A beautiful prop. Hope that it works out ok. Took a photo but there is no way that I am able to post it here - sorry.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
Was at Van's yesterday - looking around, returning parts that I over-ordered, picking up new parts. Walked out to the hanger to look at what's new just as Scott returned from an iS demo flight. Beautiful airplane! Noticed that they are 'testing a three blade prop. Asked if it was a CATO prop and if it was ok to list that info here. Was told that it was likely (not sure) a CATO, that they were testing it, and that it was ok to post here. A beautiful prop. Hope that it works out ok. Took a photo but there is no way that I am able to post it here - sorry.
Very interesting!!! Love to hear what Vanís thinks.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
It was nice meeting you yesterday Ed.
Sorry I had to run right away.... we were late getting to a meeting after returning from a test flight evaluating the propeller performance.

One correction.... the propeller being test is a Sensenich 3 blade ground adjustable. It is an updated version from the original design we tested early in the RV-12 development program and decided not to offer in the kit.

The decision on whether to offer this newer design as an option is still under evaluation.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 AM

Default Link attached - I hope

Here's the photo link - I hope.

https://imgur.com/q5BNhUU
Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Here's the photo link - I hope.

https://imgur.com/q5BNhUU
Love the look of that egg beater!
Tho RVN)
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
It was nice meeting you yesterday Ed.
Sorry I had to run right away.... we were late getting to a meeting after returning from a test flight evaluating the propeller performance.

One correction.... the propeller being test is a Sensenich 3 blade ground adjustable. It is an updated version from the original design we tested early in the RV-12 development program and decided not to offer in the kit.

The decision on whether to offer this newer design as an option is still under evaluation.
Scott..would love to hear what the test pilot thought relative in smoothness compared to 2 blade...whether Vanís decides to offer as option..
Tho RVN)
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"

2018 Dues Paid
Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
Scott..would love to hear what the test pilot thought relative in smoothness compared to 2 blade...whether Vanís decides to offer as option..
There is no noticeable difference in smoothness between the standard two blade and the three blade being tested as long as both have had the blade pitch set accurately and a dynamic balance has been done.

A few other comparisons...

The 3 blade is between 1-2 lbs lighter than the two blade.

It makes the lower cowl more difficult to remove and install (will require a longer nose gear leg slot if it is officially adopted)

It has zero indexing capability for the blade pitch so each blade must be 100% adjusted manually (not a big deal for those that want smooth running and do that anyway)

The prop can be removed from the engine with the blades still installed, so no repitching is necessary if removed for 500 hr gear box inspections, etc.

Comparisons in performance will have to wait.......

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
There is no noticeable difference in smoothness between the standard two blade and the three blade being tested as long as both have had the blade pitch set accurately and a dynamic balance has been done.

A few other comparisons...

The 3 blade is between 1-2 lbs lighter than the two blade.

It makes the lower cowl more difficult to remove and install (will require a longer nose gear leg slot if it is officially adopted)

It has zero indexing capability for the blade pitch so each blade must be 100% adjusted manually (not a big deal for those that want smooth running and do that anyway)

The prop can be removed from the engine with the blades still installed, so no repitching is necessary if removed for 500 hr gear box inspections, etc.

Comparisons in performance will have to wait.......
Found this posting from 2 months ago. Any additional info available on the testing process at Van's?
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Prop for RV-12

Since Van’s likes the prop for the RV-12 to be at an exact pitch then why not commission a fixed pitch prop, either 2 or 3 blade, that will be pitched exactly as specified for an RV-12?
I wonder if Van’s has ever considered a fixed pitch prop for the RV-12? My guess is that sometime over the last 10 years they have. I would be interested in hearing the plus and minus for a fixed pitch prop for the RV-12.
Thanks.
Zodiac 601 HDS, bought from builder 6-09
VAF dues paid until 7-19

Last edited by Burtonport : 03-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Yes, Vanís considered a fixed-pitch prop during RV-12 development. If I remember correctly, they decided to go with an adjustable prop so builders can fine-tune the prop to their specifications. If your plane is based in high mountains, you might want your prop set up differently than a plane based at sea level.

VAF donation made for 2018