What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Goodbye wooden gearleg stiffeners

It seems to me that one would want the stiffness in the fore and aft direction, but not in the side to side direction. So would it be possible to lay some carbon fiber in the seam of the wood stiffeners? This would produce a thin web side to side, but a thick web fore and aft, selectively stiffening the fore aft movement of the gear leg.

It would be interesting to get a slow-mo camera view. I've always thought the shimmy was more of a rotational thing around the axis of the gear leg.

It would be interesting to get a slow-mo camera view. I've always thought the shimmy was more of a rotational thing around the axis of the gear leg.

I can't provide a link right now, but there is a very interesting video on Youtube from an RVx belly cam showing slo-mo side to side and fore-aft wobble as the nose gear shimmies. Its frightful. I think my search words were "nose wheel shimmy".

The video title is "RV7A Nose Gear Wobble Closeup Slow Motion"

Last edited:
Shimmy

The shimmy on my Wittman Tailwind is rotational. I can see the left gear on landing roll. I wonder if the person who did not have good results should hav completely stripped the powder coat.

Back