VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-07-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Wheel Makes Binding Sound

On the last few flights I been hearing a rubbing or binding sound with each revolution of the right main wheel as I move my RV12 in and out of the hanger. So I made the stands, lifted the plane and can feel nothing wrong as I rotate the wheel, it turns smoothly and quietly with the weight off it. Rotating it back and forth I could hear a click but that seemed to be play in the brake parts.

I put the plane back down and am still hearing the noise as I pull it with the towbar. Should I try tightening the nut a little or is it time to lift it again, clean the bearings and inspect them?
Old 02-07-2020, 05:01 PM

Could possibly be the brake linings intermittently rubbing against the brake disc. This can be caused by 1) a loose brake disc (check that it is securely fastened to the inner wheel hub), 2) loose brake caliper bolts (tighten), and/or 3) linings that are worn or wearing unevenly (check for the reason for uneven wearing, fix, and replace linings). In some cases, the disc could be excessively worn by use or distorted by heat.

With regard to "tightening the nut" be sure to follow the applicable service instructions for the Matco wheelset. The main wheel bearings require a somewhat special technique to tighten the axle nut. http://www.matcomfg.com/TechnicalMan...ns-tp2-23.html
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 890+ hours (as of Mar 2020)!
VAF donation through June 2020.

Last edited by DHeal : 02-07-2020 at 05:07 PM.