What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv 12 nose gear nut

Hi all
I have just upgraded my nose wheel fork it seems ( much better ) just a little puzzled because it says on the drawings to tighten the nut to 18lbs but as I was tightening the nut the fork and wheel was for to stiff so I backed of until it felt right then I inserted the split pin (am I missing something)
Your thoughts please

Hi all
I have just upgraded my nose wheel fork it seems ( much better ) just a little puzzled because it says on the drawings to tighten the nut to 18lbs but as I was tightening the nut the fork and wheel was for to stiff so I backed of until it felt right then I inserted the split pin (am I missing something)
Your thoughts please

Why would you not go with the value on the drawing?

It?s been a while since I upgraded mine, but I recall the critical attribute was breakaway force on the nosewheel, not torque on the nut. As long as you don?t shimmy and steering is acceptable I wouldn?t mess with success!😁

I?ve found just a little less than the specified breakaway force, 18 - 20 psi and plenty of grease works really well. Easy to steer and never a hint of shimmy. Wheel balanced as well. When first got mine it was very difficult to turn - too much breakaway force and a scarcity of grease.

Jack

Back