What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Maintenance & Inspections in SoCal

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I've gone from the "just day dreaming about" to the "seriously thinking about" stage of buying a new SLSA RV-12. I've never owned an airplane. I've been a renter, so I've never had to concern myself with maintenance and inspections. They've been taken care of by the FBOs from which I rent. If I buy, those things will be my responsibility, and I'm trying to imagine how I'll do that. I live in Santa Monica and would like to keep my plane at KSMO. (It's not closed yet.) There are no hangars available there, so I'll have to settle for a tie-down space. I suspect that will make even simple self-maintenance difficult, because I won't have storage space for tools or fluids. Where do Southern California based RV-12 owners take their planes for maintenance and inspections?

Give Wayne a call at Southland Rotax. He is located at French Valley (F70). He can be reached on 951-two five five-9144.

Give Wayne a call at Southland Rotax. He is located at French Valley (F70). He can be reached on 951-two five five-9144.

Thanks for this, Alex. I've heard good things about Wayne. But French Valley is a long drive from Santa Monica, if I have to leave the plane for a while and my wife has to pick me up and take me back in a car.

French Valley is even further from Temecula than it is from Santa Monica. May I ask: what do you do if you have to leave your plane for a while at French Valley?

I'm hoping that some RV-12 owner has found a qualified mechanic closer to Santa Monica.

Ion,
Actually, French Valley airport (F70) is only a 20 minute drive from my home in Temecula. I have a hangar there for my RV-12. I have to agree that the drive from Santa Monica to F70 can be rough, especially with traffic, but its doable. I hope someone on the forum can suggest a facility closer that is competent on the maintenance of the -12. I don't know of any.
Alex

Hi Lon,

This link might help you:

https://www.cps-parts.com/

California Power Systems is a Rotax dealer in Corona that is owned by Aircraft Spruce. At the top of their home page is a link that says, ?Find Rotax Service in Your Area.? They show a Rotax service center in Long Beach, Van Nuys, Santa Ana, and Santa Monica! I have no idea how current their list is, but it?s a place to start.

Keep us posted with what you learn.

Ion, I'm sure you could find another owner renter at your home field that would be more than willing to help you out. Then again...its California...Just kidding! Good Luck!

I've gone from the "just day dreaming about" to the "seriously thinking about" stage of buying a new SLSA RV-12. I've never owned an airplane. I've been a renter, so I've never had to concern myself with maintenance and inspections. They've been taken care of by the FBOs from which I rent. If I buy, those things will be my responsibility, and I'm trying to imagine how I'll do that. I live in Santa Monica and would like to keep my plane at KSMO. (It's not closed yet.) There are no hangars available there, so I'll have to settle for a tie-down space. I suspect that will make even simple self-maintenance difficult, because I won't have storage space for tools or fluids. Where do Southern California based RV-12 owners take their planes for maintenance and inspections?

Suggestion, keep renting if you can't get a hanger. Otherwise, either do owner assist maintenance and inspections with an erstwhile A&P or buy an ELSA take the weekend course and with an A&P looking over your shoulder do it yourself. I'd be surprised if there are very many tied down 12s. Long drives to perform maintenance take the fun out it IMHO.

Last edited:
Ion,
Actually, French Valley airport (F70) is only a 20 minute drive from my home in Temecula. I have a hangar there for my RV-12. I have to agree that the drive from Santa Monica to F70 can be rough, especially with traffic, but its doable. I hope someone on the forum can suggest a facility closer that is competent on the maintenance of the -12. I don't know of any.
Alex

Alex,

I read "Temecula" and pictured Tehachapi! Glad I didn't make a mistake like that while flying.

Lon

Hi Lon,

This link might help you:

https://www.cps-parts.com/

California Power Systems is a Rotax dealer in Corona that is owned by Aircraft Spruce. At the top of their home page is a link that says, ?Find Rotax Service in Your Area.? They show a Rotax service center in Long Beach, Van Nuys, Santa Ana, and Santa Monica! I have no idea how current their list is, but it?s a place to start.

Keep us posted with what you learn.

Mark,

That link did help, a lot! It lead me to a Rotax mechanic right at KSMO -- Andre at Bill's Air. I should have known of him. Bill's Air is one of the petitioners in the NBAA's lawsuit that seeks to set aside the FAA's settlement with the City of Santa Monica that allows the city to shorten the runway and eventually close the airport altogether. Thank you for the link.

Lon

Suggestion, keep renting if you can't get a hanger. Otherwise, either do owner assist maintenance and inspections with an erstwhile A&P or buy an ELSA take the weekend course and with an A&P looking over your shoulder do it yourself. I'd be surprised if there are very many tied down 12s. Long drives to perform maintenance take the fun out it IMHO.

You too, Doug! Two of my closest friends are pilots. One of them owned his own plane, years ago. Both of them have advised me against buying. And my wife likes that advice, even though she also enjoys flying with me . . . in rented airplanes.

Back