What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 495 to D180

bobg56

Well Known Member
How do you set the Garmin 495 to talk to the D180? I see there are a few options in the Garmin 495 set up Interface. NEMA In / Out didn't work, I see Aviation/Nema VHF Out...which one to use?...I'm not able to get to my aircraft since its under MTC, but I did take out the GPS and would like to have it working properly when I re install it, I did update the software recently on the Garmin 495 to 2.60...thanks, Bob

How do you set the Garmin 495 to talk to the D180? I see there are a few options in the Garmin 495 set up Interface. NEMA In / Out didn't work, I see Aviation/Nema VHF Out...which one to use?...I'm not able to get to my aircraft since its under MTC, but I did take out the GPS and would like to have it working properly when I re install it, I did update the software recently on the Garmin 495 to 2.60...thanks, Bob

I think you are on the right track to get it working. Looking back at my old notes on this I see that NEMA In/NEMA Out Serial Data Format was the default on my 496 and that did not work with the D180. It should be set to "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out". Then on the Dynon HSI page a message should appear that the GPS is looking for satellites, i.e. "Waiting for GPS Fix", in Magenta meaning that communication is established.

i-m6khnJd-L.jpg

When receiving GPS signals you should be able to set a direct-to course and see a magenta course line on the Dynon.

I no longer have my 496 or D180 so I can't confirm this for you, but there are others on the forum who can.

Last edited:
Yes, the 495 went to default on the NEMA setting as NEMA /In NEMA Out, that didn't work...I've got it set to Aviation in/Nema VHF out...will see what happens
when I plug it back in....Thanks for the help!

Probably not necessary suggestion, but make sure the aircraft is out in the open so it can get a GPS signal.

Back