What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hall pickup on impulse magneto - RV14A / IO390

I have just installed the engine on our RV-14A and noticed that the available space to install the Garmin G3X's UMA Hall sender on the left (impulse - 4372) magneto is more suitable than the right (non-impulse - 4370) magneto.

The G3X states on page 21-23:

The magnetic pickup tach sensor is installed in the magneto bleed port. It is recommended that it be installed in the non-impulse magneto, but it can be installed in the impulse magneto if only one magneto exists (engines with single electronic ignition).

The space on the left magneto on the IO-390 provides a much better space for cable routing and also allows an easier installation. Since the IO-390 has two magnetos, I wonder if I install the sensor on the left magneto will be a bad idea. AFAIK it will work as it should but I am no expert in aviation engines so seeking help is the best thing I can do right now.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Almost all of the sytems I've installed had one electronic ignition and one impulse mag and it has not been a problem to install the sensor in the impulse mag.

Vic

Back