What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick vs Bendix

frghtdg

Looking for information regarding issues with Slick mags ( IO-390) and how they compare with Bendix. My new Lyc came with Slick, but I'm getting neg feedback from others with Slick problems.
Expect first flight in Feb.

I have done 500hr inspections on both makes. I have hung around old-timers who plied their trade with magneto rebuilds. Based on the internal component quality alone I would take Bendix any day to Slicks. I would get ahold of Aeroinstock and price a set of Air Boss CMI'S with harnesses (modern Bendix are made by Continental Motors Inc, CMI). The newer designed CMI's are smaller and more compact to boot.

Or if you're feeling frisky you might consider P-Mags. The wave of the future with vacuum advance etc....

If your Slicks are new there should be a fairly strong demand on the secondary market. Type certified crowd look for these on a regular basis.

Jim

Bendix

I have done 500hr inspections on both makes. I have hung around old-timers who plied their trade with magneto rebuilds. Based on the internal component quality alone I would take Bendix any day to Slicks. I would get ahold of Aeroinstock and price a set of Air Boss CMI'S with harnesses (modern Bendix are made by Continental Motors Inc, CMI). The newer designed CMI's are smaller and more compact to boot.

Or if you're feeling frisky you might consider P-Mags. The wave of the future with vacuum advance etc....

If your Slicks are new there should be a fairly strong demand on the secondary market. Type certified crowd look for these on a regular basis.

Jim
Plus one on the Bendix. I do my own rebuilds on the Bendix. The bearing set up is a real pain but I got it done. Small arbor press and a bunch of homemade tools.

+1 on pulling the mags and selling as "removed from new engine" and replacing with pMags.
RV-14 now flying first start was a blade on pMags and is running strong.

Carl

i run both on different aircraft. slicks have never let me down. bendix once. :)
IMG_0464%20copy.jpg

Been a A&P for 40 years and IA/ATP for 30. Have thousands of flight hours on both Bendix & Slick mags. They both can fail unexpectedly but properly maintained both usually provide good service. The Bendix is a better unit and if I were shopping for mags that's what I would probably buy. If my plane had Slicks I would be personally hard pressed to swap mags and harnesses before a scheduled o/h or failure. Last Mooney & current Pacer run Slicks. My 9 will fly with 1 impulse Slick & 1 Electroair. I have no problem with them.

Don Broussard

RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

The great thing about new Slicks is that you can sell them, buy a CPI system from Ross, and have some money left over!

Back