What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trim

todehnal

Well Known Member
So, is Van's new rudder trim tab kit any better than the small wedge that was suggested in the past?? Although it is not adjustable, once you get the size figured out with a few "tape on" test flights, it should work fine, and not need any further adjustments. Also, I kind of like the fact that the wedge adds no protrusions past the rudder. It may even look better. I need to add a little something. At cruise, and with feet off, I am out about a half a bubble. I'm thinking about starting with about 3 1/2" long wedge. It would be nice to know how some of the rest of you builders have addressed this issue. Any thoughts?

Tom

I started out taping some old wedge-shaped balsa trailing-edge material leftover from my model airplane days to the rudder to get a feel for how much "wedge" was needed. I then decided to go with Van's aluminum tab kit since that is how the "factory" does their planes. It worked very well using the pre-set bend that came with Van's tab -- no tweaking was necessary.

AveryTools

Contact Avery tools:
TOLL FREE ORDER LINE: 1-800-652-8379
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE & SPECIAL TOOL NEEDS: [email protected]
ORDERS: [email protected]

He has wedges to order, most of the RV12s either have 1 to 1 & 1/2 wedges. Paint, apply double side tape and your done

trim tab.jpg

One of those Avery wedges was perfect for me, also about a half bubble out. I thought the Walmart double-sided tape was only temporary. Wrong.

Wedge vs Van's tab

Of course, it is a matter of opinion but in my opinion Van's tab looks "factory made".
P1050073-L.jpg

The wedge looks like an "add-on". I flew with the wedge for over 2 years and never liked the look of it and never got the length adjusted to what I wanted. My wedge was painted when the plane was painted, but later I decided to add a small additional piece of wedge and it was not painted. Looked bad, and I had $30 in plastic wedges.

Van's tab costs $10 less than one wedge as well, although in my case the plane was already painted when Van's tab became available so I had to pay an hour of painter's time to get it painted plus gas to fly it to Paine Field to the painter and then gas to go again to pick it up. OK, I'm not counting gas because it is fun flying. But even not counting the gas my trim tab cost almost $100. Worth it though, I really like the look of the Van's tab, plus it is adjustable. Even a couple of hundred RPM difference in your cruising RPM will change the trim. With Van's tab you can fine tune it, and adjust the angle later if you want.

Double back tape may or may not keep your wedge on the plane, I always wondered if someday the double backed tape would deteriorate and I would lose my $15 plastic wedge. There is no doubt though that the 10 rivets will hold on the Van's tab.

I think you should just rivet on a Van's trim tab and be done with it. Trim Tab-12 part R-01220, $5.30.

The only thing better would be a rudder trim wheel, like in a P-40.

Last edited:
Ordered the part today

Well, I'm convinced that I should install Van's fix, so I ordered the part this morning. Does anyone recall if it comes with instructions, as to locating it, or proper rivets to use??

Tom

Instructions were included. Rivets I can't remember. I looked up my order and I noticed that I ordered extra AD-41-ABS. The front row of rivets are the "normal" rivets. The aft row are the AD-41-ABS rivets.
I ended up with a little gap at the front of the trim tab (red arrow). If I could do it over I would break the forward edge of the trim tab.

Tail.jpg

Just look at the picture above for orientation. Note that the lower edge of the tab aligns with the lower edge of the rudder. The shorter AD-41-ABS are not included with the Trim Tab. Be careful when you install these shorter rivets - if you push too hard when installing these rivets you may create a slight dimple on the opposite side of the thin rudder skin. Push/squeeze them in phases similar to the way its done for the aft flaperon rivets.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I checked my post build stock, and I don't have any AD41-ABS rivets. My guess, is that we didn't use that rivet during the build. So, I guess it will call for another parts order to Van's...........Tom

A Proper Rudder Trim

I think you should just rivet on a Van's trim tab and be done with it. Trim Tab-12 part R-01220, $5.30.

The only thing better would be a rudder trim wheel, like in a P-40.
i-JmKmjbz-XL.jpg

Picture of the P-40 trim wheels added, as requested ;)

No AD-41-ABS Rivets

Hey Tony!! I received my trim tab today, but I didn't get instructions, or rivets, like some of the posts mentioned. So, I ordered the special little short guys today. It looks like you just drilled out the bottom rear rivet in the rudder skin, used it as alignment, clecoing the trim tab in place, then squared up the trim tab and drilled the rest of the holes with the trim tab in place. Does that sound about right?

Tom

Tom
That sounds about right. I took the rudder off so I could work carefully with it flat on the bench, did not want to mar my paint. Also, with the rudder off, I was able to get the remains of that drilled out rivet out thru one of the openings.
P1050017-XL.jpg

I thought I had some directions around here someplace, I will look for them and post if I have 'em. Right now, I'm working on the latest fuel tank SB so won't spend a lot of time looking.

Thanks Tony. No rush, as I am waiting for the short rivets. Appreciate the heads up. I think I will take my rudder off as well. .............Tom

Back