What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Attaching Stabilator

txaviator

Well Known Member
For those who have installed the stabilator, you well know how those pesky, tiny, thin washers will most likely fall off from the hinge points...the washers that Vans instructs you to temporarily attach with super glue? The concept of the glue is great, but I had no luck with them staying put during the installation. For those about to perform the stab installation, perhaps my tip will help when/if your glued washers fall off. My trick was to get the stabilator held into place by partially inserting the bolt/outside washer into each side. At least now the stabilator won't fall off. But the problem is access to the inside washers. There is VERY little room to slide the inside washers into place. Despite having most every kind of tool available (including a device made to hold washers), there is such little room to work with that the task seems impossible. The trick? Make your own washer holding device! I found an old manila file folder, cut a piece of it as shown, used an Xacto knife to cut around the perimeter of the washer, then super glued the washer to the manilla folder tool. Use a very bright flashlight so that you can see into the tiny workspace. Mark a few reference lines on the tool, against the washer. Once inserted into the hinge area, about the only thing I was able to see, were the reference lines. The idea is to get the washer somewhat slid into place, then use the reference lines to line up the hole in the washer as best you can, with the center of the bearing. Hold the washer in place, then push the bolt through the bearing, through your new washer, and up against the nutplate. Once you get a few threads of the bolt started into the nutplate, simply tear away the washer holding tool. Worked great for me.

washerd.jpg

wash2.jpg

Great idea.

Never thought that using glue on washers was "proper" airplane construction technique. I'm going to invest in some vanilla folder tools too! :p

Thanks for posting that. I have not ever attached mine yet, but sure am not looking forward to doing it. I cringe when thinking I have to then remove it for painting and do it all over again.

A few more things on the stabilator:

Put a bunch of blue painters masking tape all around the aft end of the tailcone. The gap between the inside edges of the stab and the fuse is really close tolerance. This will help to eliminate scratching the fuselage. I realize all applications will vary to some degree. On mine, I had to use the standard washers on the outside (against the head of the bolt) and one 'L' (thin) washer on the inboard sides. This centered the stabilator perfectly on the tailcone, but even then, the gap is really tight (between stab and fuse) once the two hinge bolts are torqued.

The plans also call for you to temporarily unbolt the counterweight rod, insert everything, then spin it back 90-degrees and re-bolt it. If you are already on the gear (like me) there is no need to do this. Just lift the stab into a vertical position, insert the lead weights/rod through the opening in the fuselage, rotate it back to horizontal, and go from there. It saves you a little time for sure, if you are already on the gear legs.

I'd sure try gluing the washers to the bearing as described, first. But I had no luck with that method. I fought these two washers for quite awhile until I came up with the little trick listed in post #1.

Yep, tried one of those tools. But mine may have been a little thicker than those in your example? I couldn't get the washer to slide in the gap until I used the ultra thin manilla file folder.

I've developed a similar method, but different. A six inch long steel rule is used instead of manila folder paper. I attach the washer to the end of the rule with two small pieces of blue masking tape. This makes for a rigid insertion tool that will place the washer exactly where you want it to be. After the bolt is pushed through the washer, the steel rule with tape is pulled out, leaving nothing behind but the washer. This method doesn't require superglue or cutting anything out of the hole in the washer. Low-tech, but very effective.

I've developed a similar method, but different. A six inch long steel rule is used instead of manila folder paper. I attach the washer to the end of the rule with two small pieces of blue masking tape. This makes for a rigid insertion tool that will place the washer exactly where you want it to be. After the bolt is pushed through the washer, the steel rule with tape is pulled out, leaving nothing behind but the washer.

And I thought I made up that technique! Great minds think alike! I used that method building my 9A with great success. The ruler is stiff enough to actually push the washers into position too when the space is tight, which they usually are.

washerPushTool.jpg

Good idea. Thanks for the tip. I constructed a washer holder out of a tongue depressor for holding the washers in 21-14 step 1. Worked great.

Jeff

Back