What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Certified letter from the FAA...

[email protected]

Well Known Member
Heads up for an unexpected delivery.

WTH... I received a certified letter from the FAA the other day!

Using the USPS Informed Delivery App I get an early snapshot on the day of delivery for incoming first class mail, and a Certified letter from the FAA in Washington DC, was on the top of the list.

Yikes! What did I do...

Our front door camera showed an attempted delivery while we were out eating lunch.

Back home, I decide to head to the Post Office before they close and see if I can pick it up and find out what the heck I need to do.

Got it.

ADS-B Performance Report...

Whoop de doo ;)

Apparently, the new FAA ADS-B rebate program includes a policy change making the old Dynon GPS-250 non-compliant now rather than at the end of 2019... requiring a SIL of 3 only (previously 1, 2, or 3 was okay until 2020).

The letter threatens to filter the aircraft out of the ADS-B system if it remains out of compliance after 45 days.

New Dynon GPS-2020 on order.

I had planned to do this next year near the proposed deadline and see if it was going to actually be implemented, hoping for a future price reduction in the GPS-2020... oh well.

Last edited:
That is a big club

That is a big club right now. We are getting a lot of calls from others in the same boat. In January the FAA started upping their game and just decided that anyone who is broadcasting ADSB out must be 91.227 compliant now. (Contrary to their earlier position) At least it is an easy fix.

Same thing here. The Gov't spent over $5 to send me a certified letter. Seems an e-mail would have sufficed.

Question is... what happens if my aircraft is filtered out of the system? what do I need to do to get back in?

So now do you qualify for the $500 rebate. Or are you excluded because you already had a unit installed albeit noncompliant?

Back