What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jihostroj governor lever/rear case cover clocking?

goatflieg

Well Known Member
While I wait for a return call from Whirl Wind, I thought I'd ask here. My governor is installed on the rear of my Superior I0-360. With assistance here and elsewhere, I got the Van's cable bracket modified and installed, and the governor installed on the engine. Also noted the cable rod end bearing bolt issue and have a solution for that. But as assembled (and safety wired), it's impossible to attach the cable rod end bearing to the actuator lever. I wasted an entire day trying to design and fabricate a lever adaptor that I could bolt to the lever; checking clearances and geometry; doing machine shop milling on aluminum stock caveman-style with files and hacksaws, etc. Came back here and did more research, looking for photos of installations. In a previous thread (Jihostroj governor cable bracket??) I examined photos and noticed that other builder's governors are clocked slightly differently than mine. From that I can surmise that all I have to do is cut the safety wire, loosen the six screws and rotate the rear case cover counterclockwise to get the lever in the right place. Is that correct? Other governors have external slots for the case screws that allow this; the Jihostroj does not... but it has to be possible because other builder's photos show the rear case to be clocked differently than mine:
3DpvKYTTzt4s14elCogG4SsVq-RyB4yf6tNkcf6a5dy-j_7f6DzIsdj2xZ4axNP8FQH1iCsp6jNzImGGlcBkbpENukU0SkbMWRTX3OFJHlKG3UpFx-Ylh3jr7abp7oMPziEIEgG4SmiBmQ-ztwi6BePv7cHDSTZZMPTlftfco-8AOq5ZdvRRgqTgji6Bv7XK-3Wr13uE70Hq6-cIf6pggyZn93AxzDslGk2gJ2KKHCjgdEuEvc-V6ZDa2R5ypk4vW2COntpLB1RLVwHnUkfA-I6BldHGTd5Z0U-6fZrI9mm0icY19vfSX4XYiW_et6nI5m6zbMbecMId5XA5L1co4-cn5NyQ2a19Sxuh-jihvMdj7Bu3iJ5l3wOvS9ukIDzIWh4G-9gc5VIM4yv2WizSD2nqd_uN1boG2w4vYKebFpl6XemO2fHhKkA_JidFpCuGNI-ajwAJdUNfzVPZw0gYa2O2OY189pYuSKO00GpYl2fgtb5VZhyCC45qfaXwZelAA4-4X7xKSAa4dShZZPFrodfCEbaT5XlaWvIvlfBxJrVDQrjzpsBR6rSRE1TYGQrK_JiwPXjEwu5MwnTJFTQC4uEd6pFFJer-oRlFvlAORJQ4Gf0f52BiOEuyj_rWNWIMHAo4f7Mta4GpCtUjf7UjEA8j=w648-h432-no

Nowhere in the Whirl Wind instructions or Jihostroj documentation is this addressed, which surprises me. I found information on other threads that suggest it can be done, but those were on different governors. I don't want to mess with the way the unit was assembled until I'm sure it's ok. Any additional input would be appreciated.

You're correct. It was in the Vans firewall forward instruction packet, or the instructions that came with the bracket itself. Loosen, but DO NOT REMOVE the six screws and you can rotate the center section. I recall taking the arm off too, but can't remember exactly why I did that, now that I think about it...

Confirmed by Ron at Whirl Wind. Thanks to all. Don't know how I missed it in the FWF instructions... but not the first time I've done that, either.

Went back and checked, and now I know how I missed it. The FWF instructions mentioned the MT governor, and also referred to their installation instructions, so I tuned it out. I mentioned to Whirl Wind that they might want to include that point in their installation instructions. Since the Jihostroj governor comes safety-wired and there are no obvious adjustment slots, it's a relatively easy thing for a first-time builder to miss. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. As Mythbusters would say: PLAUSIBLE.

Back