What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto Gear

PaulR

Well Known Member
I've sold my spare magneto (non-impulse coupled) and want to remove the gear before I ship it out. I've got the cotter key out and the nut off without any trouble. That's where I've stopped for now. What is the best method for removing the gear?

A puller and tapping on a sacrificial (brass) nut on the shaft doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thanks

I used a puller

I purchased a small, 2-leg puller from a local auto parts store, and it worked nicely.

The puller left a very small depression in the outboard end of the non-impulse mag shaft which shouldn't be an issue; the impulse mag shaft, interestingly, already had a machined depression.

I don't think you'll be able to remove the gear with any amount of reasonable tapping.

Mag

The threaded portion of the shaft is quite fragile and can be easily damaged. Some shafts are cross drilled and these are even more fragile.

Magneto gear

Put the nut back on the shaft (castelations reversed) to protect the shaft cotter pin holes from the pressure of the puller. Apply a judicious amount of tension on the puller and have a large heated soldering iron ready to apply heat to the gear. It will pop right off.

Magneto gear

Forgot to tell you, under no circumstance tap or strike the shaft with a hammer. It would degrade the magnetism of the rotor and more than likely ruin the bearings (create a flat spot on the balls)

Thanks all for the suggestions. I took it to an A&P friend and he got it right off.

He used a puller and it came right off.

Getting the nut off

Old thread similar issue. I have the cotter pin out but can’t budge the nut. How do you hold the gear in place to loosen the nut?? (Slick mags)

I put a couple of pieces of wood in my vice, and clamped the gear. Prior to that I tried a strap wrench on it, but couldn't old it firmly that way.

Tried a strap wrench with no luck. I?ll try the wood in the vice. Just don?t want to damage the teeth. Thanks

Back