What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 4 pipe exhaust - who uses?

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
My engine is IO-360-A1B6 angle valve with 10:1 pistons. The recommended exhaust is 4 straight pipes. No crossover and no 4 into 1. Idea is better cabin heat and less crowding around throttle/mixture cables plus power.

Any other RV8 out there with 4 pipes? Hows the room at the cooling ramp exit?

Other issues?

Steve, I have one on my parallel valve IOX-370. Plenty of room around the cowl exit. I also have my breather and sniffle valve plumbed to exit in the same area and there's plenty of room.

I used Vetterman's 4 pipe on my IO375. Here is a during construction photo of the exit. Its hard to tell in the picture but there is plenty of clearance to the cooling ramp and lots to the cowl as the picture clearly shows. You can see the crankcase vent above the exhaust pipes. Sounds good, is simple, and there is plenty of area for cooling air flow. FYI I also hung the pipes off the engine rather than the engine mount.

Exhaust%20Outlet-M.jpg

4 Pipes

I have IO-360, parallel valve with the 4 pipe system. Plenty of room for things in the cowling. Plus folks tell me the plane Sounds better 😜 than the other RV?s on the field with other styles of exhaust.

4 pipes

Question for the 4 pipe guys....no thread drift.........
Does each pipe have a slip joint or ball joint?
and so are there 4 hangers too?
4 pipes coming out the back seems very cool...:cool:

Idea is better cabin heat and less crowding around throttle/mixture cables plus power.

For better cabin heat, might want to call or email Clint at Vetterman and discuss the relative benefits of a trombone exhaust and any power differences.

Two pipes get combined on one hanger by way of flat bar clamps (provided by Vetterman) - so two hangers.

I do have the Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust for my Superior IO-360-X... but haven't installed it yet. So I suppose I shouldn't comment. Yet, here I am... commenting. Sorry about that.

For better cabin heat, might want to call or email Clint at Vetterman and discuss the relative benefits of a trombone exhaust and any power differences.

I planned on the Trombone system with mufflers for mine for reason of cabin heat. Clint talked me into the 4 pipe, he said it produced plenty of heat and had a lot more clearance for everything.

I recently installed Vetterman's 4-pipe exhaust and asked Rick Robbins to modify his heat muff for one and a half inch hoses instead of 2-inch hoses and also asked him to shorten the muff by an inch and a half. All of this to provide more room behind the engine for my inverted oil system and oil accumulator. I still get plenty of heat from the muff as it covers two of the 4 exhaust pipes. Clint and Rick are great to work with. I'm VERY happy with the new exhaust and heat muff. :D

I had Vetterman's cross-over exhaust on the plane and it served well for 2200 hours. I went to the 4-pipe exhaust following a recent engine overhaul. The 4-pipe does give more room for cables and hoses under the sump and there is no problem with room for 4 pipes at the cowl exit. And the sound! Oh, the sound! :rolleyes:

I have a 4 pipe Vetterman exhaust in my 7 and I love it! Sounds great and heater is awesome in the cockpit! I called Vetterman and he told me just what I needed. Great service!

I have the Vetterman Crossover for Superior cold air sump on my RV-8.
I think 4 straight pipes are louder, and tune to a narrower RPM powerband.
If you run a constant speed propeller, 4 straight pipes may be the ticket.
For me, with a fixed pitch, I would like a bit more mid-range power I think the cross-over system affords.
I like the slightly mellow sound, some like the straight pipe bark!
(It could all be in my head?) :rolleyes:

Back