What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D6 doesn't detect Remote Compass

sglynn

Well Known Member
Anyone have this issue and find solution.

I'm merely connecting a Dynon D6 to the remote compass. But the D6 gives an error message saying "Remote Compass Not Detected." I have checked and double checked the 4 wire connection. Cable is about 20 feet long. Remote compass is tilted down about 7 degrees to match the tilt of the D6 in the panel.

Ideas?

Someone else reported a similar problem here. Turned out to be a ?weak? (malfunctioning) RS-232 module.
I don?t think you want to tip the magnetic sensor. Check with Dynon.

Someone else reported a similar problem here. Turned out to be a ?weak? (malfunctioning) RS-232 module.
I don?t think you want to tip the magnetic sensor. Check with Dynon.

If that's the case - a weak RS-232 module - then try a temporary test with a much shorter cable. :)

RS 232

On this same panel, the Garmin 430 is say, "not receiving data on RS232 channal1. Is this related?

D6 still doesn't recognize compass

I tried swapping the data wires for the Tx vs RX issue, but no difference.
I measured 16.8 Volts going into the compass on pin 6 from the D6.
I verified the ground is ground.

Any other ideas? Is there a reset on the D6? When it starts it doesn't look like it makes any attempt to detect an attached compass. It just pops up with error message.

Just a thought, any chance you are using an older magnetometer from an early D10 efis?
The 9 pin connectors on later D10A / D6 (current) magnetometers are wired differently.

Sending it to Dynon

Dynon called, I'm sending the two units to them to fix.
It does have a calibration setup done later with a compass rose, but that's after the D6 and compass are talking to each other.

UPDATE: April 24, 2018 Dynon fixed the D6 and Remote Compass and sent them back. There were internal issues. Everything works fine now.

Last edited:
Back