What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ProSeal to attach static line and trim cable

Blain

Well Known Member
Other then the obvious inconvienience of removal is there any reason to not put a dab in several spots and call it good?
I considered the option of standoff hangers, adel clamps, etc. But the simplest method looks like ProSeal.

The trim cable looks like it might vibrate or slap the side skin.

Following the longerons through the baggage compartment. Probably want to secure and protect from whatever might be along for the ride.

I never thought I would remove my pitot, static, or AoA lines but I did while chasing down a pitot leak four years aft I started flying. Not to mention I had to re-run them when I installed the SkyView a few years back.

May I suggest you get some zip-tie pads, remove the adhesive tape, and glue them on with proseal. (I used Automotive Trim Adhesive.)

I agree with Bill that the tie wrap pads PRosealed in place work nice.
However the plans method is also a good choice. Light and cheap.
Small alum. tabs placed under the longeron rivets every 18" or so.

I never thought I would remove my pitot, static, or AoA lines but I did while chasing down a pitot leak four years aft I started flying. Not to mention I had to re-run them when I installed the SkyView a few years back.

May I suggest you get some zip-tie pads, remove the adhesive tape, and glue them on with proseal. (I used Automotive Trim Adhesive.)

I hadn't considered the zip-tie pads. Not sure they could tuck up tight. But I like the idea.

I agree with Bill that the tie wrap pads PRosealed in place work nice.
However the plans method is also a good choice. Light and cheap.
Small alum. tabs placed under the longeron rivets every 18" or so.

I don't remember seeing that in the plans. I guess I need to study them further.

Might just dab some RTV, tape it up, and be done with it. RTV dries faster than Proseal and is removable with a little rubbing if necessary.

GOOP

It is an adhesive, Proseal is a sealant. Plus it is easier to use, no mixing.

ProSeal is a very effective adhesive as well as a sealant. Like all adhesives, its use depends on the application. Also, I like to be able to use that last 10 percent in the can for a useful purpose instead of throwing it away. It is messy, though!

ProSeal is a very effective adhesive as well as a sealant. Like all adhesives, its use depends on the application. Also, I like to be able to use that last 10 percent in the can for a useful purpose instead of throwing it away. It is messy, though!

That was one of my motivations-lining up several small applications to use up the cartridge.

Selecting an elegant nicely matching solution to hold those static lines are a challenge.

I struggled with the same thing. I wanted light and cheap, so stumbled on the idea of taking some 3/4 x 3/4 scrap and making a support loop. The hole is .375" and uses a snap bushing. It is riveted to the longeron. Sorry, I don't have a better installed picture, but there is one centered between bulkheads. This is one of the less perfect rejects. The static line follows the natural path in line with the holes in the bulkheads.

Just an idea, there are a lot that work well.

Edit - the tie-wrap pads would work well for the trim cable. Attached with pro-seal they are quite strong. I used windshield urethane for mine, but it's what I had. I used this method for the wiring runs to ensure they would never come loose.

IMG_1068.JPG

Last edited:
Back