What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First trip to Johnson Creek

Neal@F14

Well Known Member
Whole Picasa album is here:
[HERE you go. dr]

My first time ever to visit Johnson Creek in Idaho and thought I'd share some photos from the trip.

Didn't take too many photos on the trip on the way up that turned out too well, too much sunlight glare off the canopy... but here's an interesting one showing how desolate it is across vast swaths of southern Wyoming.
IMG_7283.JPG

Three thirsty RVs line up at the watering hole in Preston, ID.
IMG_7304.JPG

Everybody grabs a photo of this nice little kitty-cat in the McCall FBO. ROWRRR!
IMG_7314.JPG

This looks like it could have been on kitty's lunch menu.
IMG_7313.JPG

Finally got there Thursday evening. My new "best picture of your RV sitting on the ground" photo!
IMG_7317.JPG

Camp is now set up.
IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

End part 1, continued....

Last edited:
Looking forward to the pics and report!

My first trip there was last year, it was an incredible experience.

My flying buddies were supposed to land there today from North FL via an overnight in Longmont, but weather caused them to reschedule so they are spending a couple of days in the absolute and otherworldly beauty of Monument Valley. Hopefully the weather will clear and they can head up to JC, West Fork Lodge, Meadow Creek, Smiley Creek, and the other places that we all enjoy so much.

part 2

What a gorgeous view up the valley towards the approach end of the runway
IMG_7335.JPG

The famous bench in front of the webcam
IMG_7325.JPG

IMG_7326.JPG

It sure got cold quick when the sun went down. My friends John and Rick warming up by the campfire.
IMG_7323.JPG

Next day was too low ceilings to fly anywhere in the morning, so we had to hike up to the famous Warm Springs bathtub.

Now that's a big rock!
IMG_7341.JPG

Saw some wildlife along the trail.
IMG_7361.JPG

Reached my body's service ceiling before getting to the bathtub and had to stop and rest a while. What a view!
IMG_7362.JPG

part 3

Made it to the tub finally!
IMG_7371.JPG

IMG_7365.JPG

IMG_7369.JPG

There were more than a few obstacles along the trail
IMG_7377.JPG

The U-tree ???
IMG_7380.JPG

We weren't the only RV'ers there
IMG_7398.JPG

But we were the only RVs parked together.
IMG_7404.JPG

Temps were in the upper 20's in the mornings, a campfire is a must to get warmed up for the day.
IMG_7414.JPG

Breakfast of champions??? (nope, we religiously obey 8 hours bottle to throttle)
IMG_7415.JPG

Morning IFR in the valley... no day trips until it burns off.
IMG_7424.JPG

part 4

Finally get a day trip to another strip... some scenes along the way to Stanley for lunch.
IMG_7451.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

IMG_7450.JPG

Stanley, ID and a new freind I made in front of the bakery/restaurant after I gave him a piece of my hamburger.
IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

John getting ready to depart for home in his RV-4
IMG_7488.JPG

Rick in his RV-8 off my wing on the way out of the mountains of Idaho
IMG_7496.JPG

I trust my engine, I trust my engine, I trust my engine, I trust my engine......
IMG_7505.JPG

More pics leaving for home
IMG_7522.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

Neal, you guy's just left yesterday, didn't you? I have been watching the JC web cam and saw your R's parked there. I was so envious.... Glad you had a great time, thanks for sharing!

part 5

Rick and his RV-8 at refueling stop in Gooding, ID. Cheap fuel there.
IMG_7534.JPG

Great Salt Lake off my right wing
IMG_7570.JPG

Signs that things are about to get rough.... very rough.
IMG_7572.JPG

Rick off my left wing
IMG_7578.JPG

Bear Lake off my right wing
IMG_7589.JPG

Southern Wyoming is stilll filled with wide desolate areas.
IMG_7597.JPG

More pics in the whole album here. I've got more to keep adding to the album over the next day or so.
https://picasaweb.google.com/103492993411711088784/SelectJCPhotos#

I can't wait to fly up there again and hope to stay longer next time.

Neal, you guy's just left yesterday, didn't you? I have been watching the JC web cam and saw your R's parked there. I was so envious.... Glad you had a great time, thanks for sharing!

That was us!

I was lucky to get the "front row seat" parking spot in front of the webcam :D

Awesome looking pics! Makes me want to grab our guys and plan a trip out there. Bucket list for sure.

Don't forget Picasaweb has photo editing software and can really help get rid of haze and sometimes glare. Keep em coming!

photos

Great photos of a wonderful spot, thanks for posting!
You sure you weren't in Canada?? ;)

Back