What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The First 8 Hours

ty1295

Well Known Member
Having spent years on here reading while I built, I am hoping this post helps others or at a minimum inspires others to keep building.

9/24/19 Vic S. came up and did my Airworthiness inspection. As expected and requested he had a few minor suggestions which were all accomplished.

9/30 First flight 1 hr. I studied and used a local RV8 owner, CFII as my 2nd pilot per AC 90-116. For anybody considering a first flight and like me a low time pilot and/or one that has not flown much if any for awhile while you were building I can't stress enough how valuable that was for me, yet allowed me to experience the "FIRST FLIGHT!"

I left the Aeliron trim completely off for the fact as I wanted to know if a wing was heavy without any influence of the trim. I am happy to say with even tanks, and fairly even people weight, it flys hands off first flight.

For the first flight we climbed over the airport, ran the engine hard to help with break in, and just circled, followed by full decowl and inspection. Things will rattle loose, things you never thought would. Be aware.

First 2 flights were all done over the airport
3rd flight was away from the tower but not far, basic check things out and come back.
4th flight was a 50 mile trip to another airport to get the transponder checked/certified. Until this point the transponder circuit breaker was pulled out. Full Dynon avionics, transponder/ads-b check was flawless.

Return flight we set the Angle of Attack, followed by a few touch and go's as we both felt the engine was ready.

As of Today we now have 8.2 Hours done. In that time we probably have 25 landings, stalls, accelerated stalls, slow flight, no flap landing, covered airspeed landings (with safety pilot watching), base to final stall (up high), simulated power out, basically anything my Qualified Pilot/CFII could throw at me to learn.

I have to say, this is one awesome airplane. Very easy to fly, talks to you way before it does something dumb. If you are looking for a good enjoyable, non aerobatic airplane to fly I don't know how you could make it perform any better.

RV9A
Slow Build bought 2nd hand just beyond quick build)
Titan IO-340
Catto 3 blade, Nickel Edge
Dynon Skyview Setup. Steam Airspeed for backup.
Built to be as simple as I could, weighed 1031 lbs, left and right mains were identical.

It looks like you are enjoying every minute Jeff. Your hard work came to fruition have fun! Please share your experiences to motivate future builders.

Hi Jeff, congratulations on the 9.
It sounds like you?re at Bowman, but if you ever stop at JVY let me know. I?d love to hear more about your experience and see the plane. I?m closing in on that first flight with my 10. Lunch on me? I work next to Honaker.

Back