What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Full IFR Panel RV-6 ---> Dynon Skyview?

grossman.william

I'm New Here
Hi All,

My partner and I are thinking seriously about replacing our entire panel with the full Dynon Skyview system as well as a certified WAAS GPS (probably a GND430W) such that our RV-6 would be IFR. We'd go with a D1000 and a D700 as well as all the widgets to get the full redundancy you'd want for IFR. Right now we have the standard steam gauges and various other instruments strewn all over the panel. It's pretty awful TBH. Wondering if anyone has done this on their RV and has any feedback?

Things I'm really interested in hearing about:
1. Overall, are you happy with the performance of the Dynon Skyview system? Any regrets?
2. What configuration did you end up going with and why? Would you change anything in hindsight?
3. Any installation tips you wish you had known about before you started?
4. Where did you buy the system? All at once or piece meal?
5. What question should I have asked?

Thanks all!

- Will

I have an RV6 that I installed dual Skyview 10" screens and a Garmin 430W. Also have the advanced autopilot controller box and heading knob box. Purchased most of it from Stein. Very pleased with the setup and support from Dynon has been wonderful. Send me you email address and I will send you pictures of the panel.

Since Dynon uses airspeed for its attitude solution make sure your pitot system is in top notch condition, including pitot heat.

If you're going to deck out a complete Skyview panel, can't you leave the 430W behind and use the SV-GPS-250?

It's a bit rich for my needs right now, but I'm sure Jesse or Walt can help you find your way to really nice set up.

SV-GPS-2020 for ADS-B 2020 compliance. The 250 will work for now for ADS-B out, but not after 2020.

Location of Knobs / Autopilot panels

I'm very happy with my Skyview system. I don't have as much panel space as you will in the -6 so I'm just using one 10" screen and a D2 as a backup. A couple of thoughts.

I you use the Dynon comm (which I really like), and you can live without a second, independent radio, you can go with a Garmin 400W or a 625 instead of the more expensive units with the radios / glidelsope receivers. You'll only be able to do RNAV approaches (LNAV and VNAV) but most airports haver RNAV approaches now that are very close to ILS minimums. Call Jesse for some good advice / pricing on Garmin units.

Think carefully about where you locate the Knobs Panel and the Autopilot Panel. Consider placing them at some location OTHER than your panel, within easy reach of your resting hand. Jesse Saint showed me a couple of really good examples and it makes all the sense in the world.

If you get the Garmin, you don't need the Dynon GPS receiver. It would make a nice backup though. You can find a 250 for $100 as many of us took ours out and replaced them with the 2020. If you want the compliant 2020, it's only $600.

Get the touch screen!

Think carefully about where you locate the Knobs Panel and the Autopilot Panel. Consider placing them at some location OTHER than your panel, within easy reach of your resting hand. Jesse Saint showed me a couple of really good examples and it makes all the sense in the world.

I'm planning my panel now as well. Could someone post some pictures of these types of examples for a RV-7.

I'm planning my panel now as well. Could someone post some pictures of these types of examples for a RV-7.

RV-7%20Dynon%20IFR_Small.png

I like the 6th one down the best: https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...09_1154532661238077_6712178672709082546_o.jpg

I am a little partial though. The space below he comm was left for a future upgrade to a certified GPS for IFR. Stein suggested the second comm for now, since most of the wiring would be in place and make it easier to wire the future GPS. I like the flow, and simplicity. The carbon fiber parts are nice to brace some fingers on in turbulence while tuning frequencies or buttons.

Very happy with the layout and functionality.

I've got this panel in my RV-6A. Dial 10" touch with every Dynon option available. Garmin GTN-625 for the IFR navigator. I wouldn't change anything.

2A446144-84FA-4127-B8B4-4635008D9798_zpsn6fhzpvr.jpg

This is actually a RV-14 panel, we can do the same for your RV-6.

24856515915_9206d79a57_k.jpg

Send me an email or give me a call and we can work on a custom layout and quote.

We should have an RV-14 panel with two AF-5800 12" EFIS screens ready to ship next week that we can send you pictures of.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Back