What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Recess Riveting

TFeeney

Well Known Member
This feels like a dumb question, because this far along in the game it seems like I should have a better answer for this problem.

How did you rivet the rudder pedal brace inside the firewall recess? The rivet gun doesn't fit on the inside of the recess, and on the backside I can't get the backrivet set to lay flat (so I just know the rivets will fold over). Is there a trick here that I'm not seeing? Some special angled tool that'll allow me to flush rivet inside the recess?

5 stinken rivets.

I'm pretty sure I used my flush swivel set for this. Do you have one?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flushswivel.php?clickkey=381930

IIRC, I did the same except my swivel flush set doesn't have the rubber guard:
10175.jpg

I didn't make a note about this step in my log which means I didn't do anything extraordinary to set those rivets.

Last edited:
Like I said - dumb question. :cool:

I've got the swivel set. Sometimes you just get so focused on one possible solution that the obvious isn't clear.

Thanks for the Monday morning jolt.

Is the recess already riveted in? On my RV7, I riveted the rudder brace in before the recess. My 2X rivet gun fit in the hole with a regular rivet set.

Last edited:
Is the recess already riveted in? On my RV7, I riveted the rudder brace in before the recess. My 2X rivet gun fit in the hole with a regular rivet set.

Yes. On the 10 there's structure that's sandwiched between the bracket and the recess so there's no way to rivet the bracket on ahead of time.

OK.... another question in the same area.

Step 2 on pg 27-2 says "Dimple the five F-1039D Rudder Pedal Brace attach holes for the head of a AN426DA4 rivet. Dimple the upper most rudder pedal brace hole using a femaie dimple die and rivet" OK..... I dimpled the recess five holes to keep the recess firewall side smooth.

I see on pg 27-4, step 3 says to "CSK the F-1039D Rudder Pedal Brace attach holes on the inboard face of the F-1001E-L Center Angle to lay against the F-1001K Recess for dimples in the recess". Alright, I understand and the F-1039D brace goes outboard of the F-1001E-L Center Brace per step 1 on pg 27-6. Got it.

So, what is the step 2, pg 27-2 instruction about dimpling the upper hole on the brace? Dimple back toward center to create a double-flush rivet on the upper hole?

Reference the picture on page 27-6 Figure 1 (which is actually shown above) - I think that might answer your question.

The F-1001K is dimpled (OB), so the adjacent angle F-1001E-L needs to be CSK to accommodate the dimple.
Then the F-1039D Rudder Pedal Brace sits flush and all get riveted together by the AN426AD4-5 rivets.
No double flush.

Just use a swivel head gun. :rolleyes:

Yea, that's how I thought it went together. It just last instruction "dimple the upper most rudder pedal brace hole using female dimpled die and rivet" that was throwing me off.

I guess Vans is saying that because that upper hole in the recess is tight up in the corner. I've ground my dies down on one side so my squeezer could dimple that puppy.

Thanks. i wanted to make doubly sure. There are a lot of overlapping parts and rivets on the firewall.

JW

Back