What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to order finishing kit

papamike

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

Can anybody tell me where the fuselage kit ends and the finishing kit begins, as far as work to be done? I'm finishing seat backs and getting ready to start on the center tunnel covers. I don't put in the hours I'd like to every week, but I can get some things done...

Thanks

You'll need an engine mounted before you can fit the cowl from the finish kit.

You could do the canopy before or after avionics.

The gear legs, fairings, wheel pants etc. goes pretty quick, but unless your 6'-10". Tall I'd avoid doing the gear until the avionics and interior and FF are complete.

Pete
I'm at the same point in the -7 build as you. This Monday I ordered the finish and engine forward kits, and Thursday I started on the seat backs. The delivery schedule for the finish kit calls for it to be crated on October 26th. It should arrive here in Michigan just before we head to Florida for the winter.

Before the price goes up again

Every year the price has gone up 3% +/- since 2001.It's a large crate,footprint wise. Good time to order extras like a set of rudder skins(just in case's). If you can store it,buy it before your wife wants to go on a cruise,or my kids call with good news"They need money"! IMHO
RHill

A Chemist friend recommended I vacuum bag my tires&tubes,engine mounts and store them in the freezer to extend shelf life.I'll let you know how well it works when I get them out!

Last edited:
My decision was financially motivated. I had a windfall and decided to order the kit. The biggest problem I've had is storing the canopy. I decided to keep it in its crate and the crate is VERY large. I've got it in a storage unit.

My decision was financially motivated. I had a windfall and decided to order the kit. The biggest problem I've had is storing the canopy. I decided to keep it in its crate and the crate is VERY large. I've got it in a storage unit.

That's the other issue,The canopy, Not to drift the thread.What have others done to store the Canopy safe and sound during a protracted build?
RHill

I'm OK with the thread going in that direction. That's an issue. I just told mama the canopy would be in the house, maybe on an unused bed...
My garage is so full now, I'd have to totally unpack the crate and probably break it down on delivery day.

I think my original question has been answered with some further investigation on Van's site describing what's in the finish kit... and I know I will order it before the next price increase...

Last edited:
I too had storage concerns

the freight difference may be a small concern, but for me storage was the largest issue.

I broke my deliveries into the pieces that I needed-- when I needed them.

I bought all of the canopy frame pieces to do the canopy, then I got the canopy, then the cowl (but from James.) I don't have gear leg fairings or wheel pants but I'm not working on those either.

Just another approach.

I ordered mine about that time. I stored the canopy in the spare bedroom. It covers a queen bed very efficiently before trimming. Had it on the gear for a couple weeks but took it off to do the tip-up canopy.

Very timely thread ... I'm at about the same point, too. Thanks for all the perspective.

I'm running out of storage space, too, and may need a locker offsite, unless I can find a buddy with a empty corner of a hangar for temporary storage

How tall is the canopy? Maybe a fame and some pullies and hoist it up to the garage ceiling.

Pete
I'm at the same point in the -7 build as you. This Monday I ordered the finish and engine forward kits, and Thursday I started on the seat backs. The delivery schedule for the finish kit calls for it to be crated on October 26th. It should arrive here in Michigan just before we head to Florida for the winter.

Karl, it's nice to know there is someone close by just ahead of me in the build process.:cool: My slow build fuselage is right about the quick build stage, but I'm just moving into the area so it'll be a couple of months before I get my shop up and running, and probably a few months after that before I'm ready to order the finish kit. I should probably plan on a spring delivery, as it would seem very scary to even unpack the canopy during a Michigan winter.:eek:

I'm leaning toward ordering the whole thing at once, as I have a fairly understanding wife, a couple of spare bedrooms for the plastic parts, and an attached hangar with LOTS of shelving for the rest.

Back