What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing an Icom A200 with a Garmin GTR 200

JohnTEEX

I'm New Here
So after a dozen years of making too-slow progress building an RV-9A, I finally decided to cut bait and purchased a 2007 model with about 700 hours. Beautiful craft. Even second-hand, my RV grin just won't wipe off!

Anyway, my Icom radio gave up the ghost and Icom informed me that they no longer support or repair that model (A200). Since the Garmin GTR 200 had great PIREPs, a built in intercom, and fit the same panel opening as my dead radio, I purchased it along with a rack (tray) and wiring harness from AS.

So here's my problem: the Icom rack is 1.34" high and in addition to 4 mounting screws near the front, has two mounting screws (one on either side) 8" back on the inside. Their nuts outside the tray can be reached from under the panel, but they can't be loosened unless I can get a phillips screwdriver back inside to prevent their screws from turning. My hand won't fit inside the tray and I can't find a tool with a long enough handle and offset to get to the screw.

Do I need to remove the panel to replace the tray? Are all radio racks this difficult to remove and install?

Are all radio racks this difficult to remove and install?
Yes.

Try putting a phillips screwdriver bit into a 1/4" socket, and putting the socket on a long-handled socket wrench. That might give you enough reach to get back there at 90degrees to the screw?

An IC A 210 with edge connector will direct plug in to that A200 tray. A210 is an improvement but has a week link in the ribbon cable to be extra careful of.

Or "make" a long nosed 90.

In a similar situation, one of the long phillips screwdrivers, heat and a 90 bend gave me something to hold the head. Basically have to turn the nut to line up the screw with the phillips bit, then hold your tongue just right, say a few prayers and cuss words, and carefully turn the nut.

After I got mine loose, then I discovered that someone in the past had welded/soldered the radio tray to the xponder tray...why, I dunno, but then I had to do the same dance again, wrestle them both out, and grind them apart!

Patience and out of box thinking! (Especially for me, a non-builder because I lack both of those things!)

Or better yet, ill trade my 210 for your GTX200 if you decide not to change out that tray. Yours would be plug and play.

Check for an opening in the opposite side of the tray-------a long screwdriver from the outside, through the tray to the screw is how I was able to reach these when doing my 10.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great tips! I'm pleased to see that none of them started with "You'll have to disassemble the panel to get at that tray...".

I did order a 90-degree flat ratchet handle for screwdriver nibs a couple days ago...it's shorter than I need, but I think with a vise-grip on the end I can reach the screws. If that doesn't do it, heating and bending a long-handled screwdriver to a right angle seems like "the RV way", and is probably what I'll try next.

Only problem with accessing the screws through a hole in the tray is that the map compartment/glove box is right there to block the way on one side!

Thanks again, everyone. I'll post pictures when I get the job done to help the next guy/gal!

I had exactly the same radio (ICOM A200) with the same problem and replaced with a Garmin GTR200 in my 9A. Works great! You must have a sliding canopy because with my tip-up I could easily access the rack screws. Since the Garmin is not as deep I had to make different brackets to tie the rack into the bulkhead. You'll enjoy the 'monitor' feature! I can listen to ATIS in the right ear while talking to tower and listening in the left. Auto squelch and built in intercom work great too.

Yep, I have a slider. With your tip-up, I assume that in the process of "tipping-up", the backside of the panel is accessible?

A210 thoughts

My a210 just broke on a trip so here are some thoughts:
1. A lot of guys are replacing their 210s so there are used units available at a good price.
2. The cable to the front panel is the weak link so I?m going to use a friction fit to keep the new unit in and never remove the front.
3. I was all set to change to the garmin but got to thinking about the effort to install it at my advanced age. It?s a better radio but not that much better.
4. If you want to go with a new radio, contact John Stark and ask him to make you a harness also.

You can remove the front and still keep the ribbon cable connected by using some blue tape. This will allow you to NOT put any load on the ribbon or connector. Minimize you A210 problems. But im with you on a new com change over. Especially on a slider. Another failure and ship back to west coast and i beleive that will cross the line for me on the 210

Back