What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Re-pitching a Sensenich 180 HP prop - Who does it?

az_gila

Well Known Member
VAFers.

I have decided to get my 83 inch pitch 72FM Sensenich prop repitched to Vans updated standard of 85 inches.

The factory said any of their dealers can do it, but I got these responses from the two major AZ prop shops.

1. We don't do that any more.

2. I'm not sure, I'll get back to you. The last time we repitched an RV prop my asst. said he would quit if he had to do that again.

I could send it back to Sensenich PA, but was thinking shipping time and costs would be less if I could find a SW states prop shop.

So has anyone had a 180 HP Sensenich prop repitched at a shop in the SW and were you happy with the results? Or should I just use the factory and take a shipping cost and time hit?

If it's in the SW I'm sure I could squeeze a prop box into my Tiger a deliver it to a nearby airport.

Gil, I really suggest you send the prop to Sensenich. I had my prop repitched at a local shop many years ago and decided I would always let Sensenich do that from now on. They have a hydraulic machine that is better than the armstrong method used in the local shops.

Contact Sensenich, (717) 569-0435. Unless something has changed, they will repitch it for free plus shipping. 83" was recommended early on but proved to be not enough for most folks and that's why they don't charge for it. I had mine done about 5 years ago and it came back perfect. Quick turnaround, too. If you want anything else done while they have it they can give you a quote. I think you will like the change, too. I lost a little climb but cruise was better and at a lower RPM.

Last edited:
Prop

Gil,

I have a used (under 150 Hrs) 72FM85 prop for sale for $1500 (+shipping). It's located in KBKV, if you want to pick it up, but it won't fit into an RV....

VAFers.

I have decided to get my 83 inch pitch 72FM Sensenich prop repitched to Vans updated standard of 85 inches.

The factory said any of their dealers can do it, but I got these responses from the two major AZ prop shops.

1. We don't do that any more.

2. I'm not sure, I'll get back to you. The last time we repitched an RV prop my asst. said he would quit if he had to do that again.

I could send it back to Sensenich PA, but was thinking shipping time and costs would be less if I could find a SW states prop shop.

So has anyone had a 180 HP Sensenich prop repitched at a shop in the SW and were you happy with the results? Or should I just use the factory and take a shipping cost and time hit?

If it's in the SW I'm sure I could squeeze a prop box into my Tiger a deliver it to a nearby airport.

Prop Repitch

Another option is Texas Aircraft Propeller in the Houston area(214-485-4400). A couple months ago had my FP Sensenich prop repitched on my 150 hp Pacer from 61 to 58?. They have the machine and the expertise and did a fine job. Turnaround was quick and bill was about $400.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Contact Sensenich, (717) 569-0435. Unless something has changed, they will repitch it for free plus shipping. 83" was recommended early on but proved to be not enough for most folks and that's why they don't charge for it. I had mine done about 5 years ago and it came back perfect. Quick turnaround, too. If you want anything else done while they have it they can give you a quote. I think you will like the change, too. I lost a little climb but cruise was better and at a lower RPM.

Interesting, they never mentioned that when I called yesterday. :)

I'll try again.

They did say that it can be done on a new prop without screwing up the paint, which surprised me. I expected a full repaint would be needed.

Last edited:
Interesting, they never mentioned that when I called yesterday. :)

I'll try again.

They did say that it can be done on a new prop without screwing up the paint, which surprised me. I expected a full repaint would be needed.

The part of the machine that clamps on the blades is padded with something. My paint was not disturbed and no other evidence could be seen. They metal stamped the new pitch number over the old and removed my mid blade decals.

Don B

Spoke to Sensenich again today. I've given up on the local dealers.

No commitment but it sounds like they will probably do it for nothing for a low time prop.

So, off to UPS tomorrow...:)

I was told by several shops recommended by them that the Vans prop has a very thick hub that makes it difficult to adjust without a hydraulic press and special tooling. All told me to go to Sensenich.

In my case they wanted $500 and this included mandatory reconditioning. The prop had about 400 hours at the time.

I opted to trade it for a Catto, so I didn?t get to see any results.

Don

Repitching Prop

You should check your logbook. Make sure the prop has not been altered before. There is a limit to the total number of "inches" a prop can be twisted. The Sensenich 74 DM prop I have on my Citabria limits total range to 6". You can go from, say the original 56" to 53" for example then back to 56" and your done. The original prop on this plane had been adjusted form 56" to 50" and that prop was done,(according to Sensenich). As a further note on my prop, 1 inch of pitch change is about 3/8 of degree. So that 6" inch pitch change is a little over 1 1/2 degrees. Minuscule, but noticeable.

You should check your logbook. Make sure the prop has not been altered before. There is a limit to the total number of "inches" a prop can be twisted. The Sensenich 74 DM prop I have on my Citabria limits total range to 6". You can go from, say the original 56" to 53" for example then back to 56" and your done. The original prop on this plane had been adjusted form 56" to 50" and that prop was done,(according to Sensenich). As a further note on my prop, 1 inch of pitch change is about 3/8 of degree. So that 6" inch pitch change is a little over 1 1/2 degrees. Minuscule, but noticeable.

I bought it straight from the factory many years ago as Ed Zercher VAF special.

Only been on my RV-6a with no previous twisting. :)

Back