What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing JPI Oil Temperature Probe

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm installing a new JPI engine monitor. The JPI Oil temperature probe installation instructions say to install the probe in one of the front oil gallies, by removing the 1/8 NPT plug.

So far I've not been able to budge the galley plug on either side of the engine. I'm wondering why I can't install the probe in the oil filter adapter where the existing oil temperature probe is installed.

The oil filter adapter accepts a 5/8 inch straight thread. There's an adapter for 5/8 in straight thread to 1/8 NPT that I could use.

The instructions however say not to install the probe near the vernatherm. I believe the vernatherm is in the oil filter adapter on Lycomings.

I'm wondering if I can install the probe in the oil filter adapter using the adapter.

Has anyone else installed a JPI oil temperature probe there?

Here's a picture of the old probe and location.

D7jiM6y.jpg

Last edited:
That is exactly where my JPI sensor is installed. If it is a problem, I wouldn’t know as I don’t have another reference for oil temp.
My instructions, circa 2003, don’t say anything about where to put it, or where not too.

Back