Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 AM

Another hour flew by. Mt Peulik.

Fort Jensen. En emergency airstrip.

Ugashik river runway complex close to Becharof Lake. A friend of mine bought a tour from here last year thoroughly enjoyed. Plenty of bunks in adjacent lodges but only for those who buy tours they don't cater to a casual drop off.

Ugashik bay another escape option however the surface is poor quality.

My fuel burn was looking good and I diverted toward Aniakchak National Monument.

Aniakchak is a spectacular crater with Surprise Lake in the caldera.

The river out of the lake is popular with extreme rafters. They charter a seaplane land on Surprise lake and run down the volcanic rapids.

I completed the full circle around the caldera and returned on my course. Uncharted landing strip on Meshik river.

After that I dialed Nelson Lagoon. The fog was still there. Hmm I guess I need an alternate. Almost 4 hours airborne on stock fuel tanks I have to land somewhere to refuel from jar cans. Thought of longer range tanks crossed my mind again.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-26-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Cold Bay PACD was soaked in as well but there was a passage under the deck from the south. SVFR is an option. A Piper was already talking about it...

Look... Aghileen Pinnacles!!

And here is Pavlof volcano wearing a hat. Mount Emmons had a bonnet too.

Cold Bay Radio how it looks at False Pass? Radio looked at the monitors nothing good came out of it.

Hey Piper xxxWhiskey got a question for you. Where you came from?...
Piper xxW; who are you what u doing here?
Me; Just putting around VFR enjoying the scenery...
Piper (straight to the chase); Go to King Cove it's clear. My wife is there we can give you gas I'll be back in 30...

It's good to have a working radio.

King Cove was clear indeed. Just over the ridge those rolling Aleutian clouds were visibly dissipating. Then rolling again 20kts wind is considered nothing here. A fishing village and processing plant of King Cove.

I scooted over Belkovsky bay looking for whales none were spotted.

Gravel runway was in great shape.

I parked and walked to the Eider Co. office. There was a charter aircraft from Palmer and pilots recognized my RV. Wow I am impressed.

Guy Pere and his wife Wanda run a small one-man charter operation. Good people. Guy shuttled several customers from King Cove to Cold Bay and False Pass, then drove me to the village to buy car gas. He lent me five jars. I spent couple hours on the ground Wanda gave me a microwaved burrito. Never thought junk food could be that tasty.

My telephone didn't work, Guy gave me his to file DVFR flight plan to Dutch Harbor. There are two F18s sitting at Cold Bay with Sidewinders, says Guy, they are looking for rogues you better behave. You got a lot of gas. If you don't make it to Dutch, come back we have a place to stay for you. Just call the FSS from the air and ask them to call me. I will pick you up after hours...

Old 06-26-2018, 07:48 PM

I cannot believe this photo but it's true. my new wallpaper.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 06-26-2018, 08:44 PM

[quote=Gash;1269454]Vlad wins the internet for today!

That's a cool gif!
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Engine hung!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 06-26-2018, 10:01 PM

There are basic VFR round dials on the instrument panel. I have a transponder and a radio. I navigate using compass, paper charts and an app on ipad. I don't have an onboard weather.

NO GPS?? NO Weather?? You're a braver man than me Vlad. But than, having that chart allows you to know all those names of the places you're flying over. Great job Vlad.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Well done cousin, another epic adventure for sure.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-27-2018, 06:14 AM

Most of us are speechless Vlad, its another world you explored... up there. Incredible shots once again. B.
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 06-27-2018, 06:31 AM

Great photos - thanks for sharing!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 AM

Thank you guys. If I can do it anybody can. Just wait for a good weather window and go. You would be surprised how easy it is.

... leaving King Cove PAVC. A Grant Aviation Caravan quickly unloaded his boxes while I was still back taxiing runway 25. Where are you going brother? Trying to reach the Dutch, I'll turn left then low over the village, will be out of your way shortly. I am jealous the kid said good luck.

Super excited I shoved the throttle wide open too fast. The wood prop picked up a pebble or two the shrapnel hit somewhere under. Why did I do that I've been to worse fields always rolled partial power till nose up. Dummy.

Climbed, opened my DVFR flight plan said bye to Grant guy and went my own way. Here it is Unimak Island. False Pass airport is right under that pretty layer of fog. The itch to land on it was strong no RVs ever been to that island. Not this time.

Cold Bay radio briefed me on current VFR condition and asked to report Akutan there was no radar coverage. Thank you good guys! The Pacific side of Unimak Island was clear. Plenty of good beaches, boats fishing, cabins etc. Who told me there is nothing down there?

The Bering seaside was under solid IMC.

Isanotski Peaks

followed by Shishaldin volcano. I've read it's active but I didn't see any smoke coming out of it. On my way back I'll take a closer look.

To the left is Pogromin. Temptation took over and I made a wide 360 degree turn around it. Smooth air, plenty of fuel and a happy Lycoming what better could you ask for? Life is good!

The Pacific side again. Cabins, fishing boats and fresh ATV trails.

From here I climbed till feet dry and hopped over Unimak Pass toward Akun Island. For the next 30 minutes I will see what Zero pilots saw 76 years ago...

Old 06-27-2018, 12:13 PM

Wow, what scenery! I had no idea. Seems like all the Aleutian photos I've seen showed a gray world, wet and cold, with a lot of rocks. Vlad's photos suggest it is the most beautiful part of Alaska, perhaps the whole USA. Just wow!

BTW, if you make it to OSH, try to meet Ralph Maloof, resident engineer at Revmaster. He can often be found hanging out with Pat Panzera at the Contact Magazine booth. Ralph flew P-40's, then P-38's over the Aleutians during WWII, and tells absolutely fascinating stories.