Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2018, 06:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip with us; I'm enjoying your posts.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:45 PM

Great Trip Report! Even more exciting/connection for me is that I've flown my Rv to a handful of the same airports on less grand adventures.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 3

Day 3 - Monday, May 28th, 2018

Departed Hettinger early on day 3 of our trip. We visited Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. Our first destination was originally Hulett, Wyoming (W43) and we did fly to it but the low clouds were too thick. We had originally planned this stop as it was close to Devil's Tower. Austin found a good divert just south at Newcastle, Wyoming (KECS). We climbed over the cumulogranite clouds hugging the hills and into scattered skies. Newcastle was very desolate and unmanned with a $50 call-out for fuel. But, the FBO shack was open. Luckily, we didn't need any gas.

Next stop, Custer, South Dakota (KCUT). On the way in, we saw the Crazy Horse mountain carving in the distance. The landscape was nice rolling green hills with granite outcroppings. Looked like a great place to camp. The FBO had a manager who was very friendly and the gas was cheap. We made a pit stop and continued on Nebraska but first, one of our scheduled detours.

Mount Rushmore. We didn't get too close but the view was great. Much more impressive than we expected. After, we flew over the badlands. Not sure how they got the name but it looked very inhospitable.

Harrington, Nebraska (0B4). This was a very nice FBO tucked in beautiful farmland. There were sprinklers going as we were refueling but we didn't mind getting a little wet as it was hot. They definitely took good care of the grounds. The FBO was cool and had cookies and snacks left out on the table. Nostalgic photos on the walls. Austin and I ate Ramen for lunch with the plane parked out front on the lawn.

There was a little weather on the way to Minnesota and we diverted to Jackson, Minnesota (KMJQ) instead of Blue Earth (KSBU) which had a thunderstorm overhead. Austin made the very smart call early and was flying this leg. Very well appointed county airport. Would have been a good place to stay and rest but we wanted to keep going in case one of the isolated thunderstorms decided to pay a visit. As soon as we took off, we remembered we hadn't taken a photo so we made a quick return for the photo.

Lancaster, Wisconsin (73C). A small remote airport in the middle of green farmland. Austin really liked the red barns. The FBO was small but did have showers. There were blueprint size drawings on the table so they must be in the middle of planning something. We relaxed and stretched on the floor for a while before departing.

We decided the spend the night in Washington, Iowa (KAWG). Nice unmanned FBO with a big airplane model display and honor system courtesy car, which we borrowed. We really like the town. Beautiful old and well kept houses. The town square looked like something out of a 50's movie with a park in the middle and kids splashing in the water play area. The businesses looked like they were thriving and we counted at least 6 or 8 restaurants. We stayed at the Hawkeye motel which was only $58 but was clean and comfortable but old.

Wikipedia says, "The State Theater in Washington, Iowa is the oldest continuously operating movie theater in the world. It showed its first films in 1897, and was inducted into the Guinness Book of World Records on April 21, 2016. It is still in operation as of June 1, 2018."

Ice cream at the Korner Kremery. Austin had Monster Cookie in a waffle cone and I had banana pudding ice cream. Shelby teased that I had "crazy" eyes. I kinda' did after a bug flew in my eye just as Austin was taking the picture and wouldn't retake it.

End of day 3 and the western half of the country is complete.
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft

Last edited by larrynew : 06-08-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM

Thumbs up Well done

Good job guys! It’s a record check with Guiness Co. Keep the writeup going.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 4

Day 4 - Tuesday, May 29th, 2018

Today was a long day with stops in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont and Maine. Another early drive through breakfast of McDonald's bacon, egg and cheese biscuits. We packed and I pre-flighted while Austin returned the courtesy car. Thanks, Washington Municipal Airport.

First stop is Kahoka, Missouri (0H7). A grass strip in the extreme northeast corner of the state. It was hard to find among the many farm fields and was tucked in right next to the small town. We did a low pass to assess the condition of the field and it looked good so we landed. Only 2 small hangers on the field but houses and light industrial buildings bordered close on one side of the runway.

On to Canton, Illinois (KCTK). We had a very nice visit with the vice-president of EAA Chapter 832, Kori Sheff. I was wearing my EAA Chapter 958 shirt, which she noticed. She showed us around their chapter office in the FBO building and we asked about the large table made with a tire and a glass top. She said astronaut Steven Nagel was from Canton and donated the tire, which had flown on a space shuttle. Cool story. We saw a roofer working on the FBO roof wearing a burnt orange "Texas" shirt. Both being graduates, we gave him a "hook 'em horns" but I don't think he made the connection. That's the EAA Chapter's hanger in the background. Our most "EAA friendly" stop.

La Porte, Indiana (KPPO). The self-serve fuel was on the smaller quiet side of the airport. There was an FBO building of sorts but looked seldom used. Curious that the sink had a big sign on it that said "NO WATER". A trucker delivering fuel knocked (it was a CTAF code locked door) and we let him in. We later learned that Dave's mother was from La Porte.

Sturgis, Michigan (KIRS) had taxiway work tar sealing cracks that we accidentally taxied over. Oops. The FBO was hard to find as we didn't think the signage was clear but a nice lady saw us and radioed directions. Inside, Austin liked the BIG friendly Husky. We got a loaner car and proceeded to town with lunch recommendations. Our first option was closed so we diverted to the alternate. On the way, a scruffy gentleman wanted to talk more than we did so we changed directions only to find ourselves between him and 2 clean-cut white short sleeve shirt and tie wearing, fast walking boys who looked like they were on a mission to talk to us. We ended up in an old school corner cafe and lunched on gyros and grilled cheese sandwiches. On the way back we had my favorite, dip cones from DQ. Sorry Michigan for my bad artwork.

Norwalk, Ohio (5A1) was a clean but old smelling FBO. They did have a cold water fountain and comfy couches. We waited for the crop duster to land and he was nice to coordinated our taxi for takeoff so we didn't have to wait too long. Just at the end of the runway was a drag strip which I hope others didn't mistake for the runway. We thought we lost our marker so had to use pen for this picture.

The flight to Wellsboro, Pennsylvania (N38) was a longer leg and the countryside changed to absolutely beautiful rolling green hills patchworked with trees and small towns in the valleys. We met and visited with a young man who was babysitting a very nice RV-4 for the owner. He said he could fly it all he wanted. He was taking a friend flying and 2 ladies waiting for them gave us the FBO code as it was "CTAF x 30 plus 367". We commented how beautiful the countryside was and they wanted to know if we saw their town in the valley. We said yes but had seen dozens of towns in valleys. Inside was a well maintained snack and drink honor system setup benefiting the local flying club or EAA chapter. Found the marker.

We arrived in Johnstown, New York (NY0) during an EAA or Flying club meeting with probably 40 in attendance. We had to squeeze between airplanes and they politely but curiously watched us as we refueled. We could tell they wanted us to come visit but we wanted to keep going as it was getting late and dark. We hand walked the plane a good distance away to avoid disturbing the gathering. On the way in and out we thought the Finger Lakes area of New York had a well deserved reputation as being scenic.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:20 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 4 (continued)

Rutland, Vermont (KRUT) continues the beautiful countryside with the airport being in a lush hilly valley. We saw a cool big house in the woods next to the airport. Nothing open so we had to make our pit stop discrete. It was darker than this picture shows as I think Austin did some digital magic to it.

Austin wanted me to pose "gangster like", whatever that means. This is my best attempt at being gangster.

We arrived at Sanford, Maine (KSFM) after dark. The FBO was closed but we had called ahead to let them know we would be in late so they told where to park. We secured the airplane and walked the easy half mile to the Super 8 motel. We dropped our stuff in the room and walked next door to the Super Walmart for some shopping including Woolite that I used to wash some shirts. It was a long day so we went to bed early looking forward to lobster eating tomorrow.

End of day 4 and a lot of the country has been stickered.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrynew View Post
$2346.50
Chicken Feed! I'd say it was totally worth every penny!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid
Old 06-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Default 48 states in 7 days

Very interesting...Mike Davis & Tom Toussignant from near Lancaster SC are on the same journey! Left SC and headed west...Today they went from Redding Cal N. to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and stopped in Montana. You guys should join up...
Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 5

Day 5 - Wednesday, May 30th, 2018

We planned to depart Maine about 1 p.m. to allow us time to eat lobster for lunch. We will visit New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and West Virginia. We slept a little later than usual and had the free hotel breakfast before checking out. Austin's waffle was just 4 circles unlike the Texas shape in Dumas. We made the easy half-mile walk back to the airport to pack our bags in the airplane before continuing on to lobster lunch. It was just under a two mile walk to Lord's Clam Box. We arrived about 10 minutes before opening but they opened the doors for us to wait inside. We had lobster stew, lobster pie and lobster roll. We both thought the lobster stew was the best and Austin though the sauce was mostly butter. On the way back, we stopped for ice cream at Shain's of Maine which we both though was good but the servings were too large to finish after all the lobster.

After lunch, we departed for Rochester, New Hampshire (KDAW). Before leaving, we visited with the FBO folks and learned that one of them had relatives close to New Braunfels and enjoyed visiting the area. We also talked to the mechanic in the hanger working on a pristine Ran's taildragger that he said the owner uses with skis in the winter. On the taxi out, we got some fuel but they didn't have 100LL, only ethanol-free 91 octane so we just took 5 gallons. It was only a 12 mile flight to Rochester where we topped off fuel despite their confusing pump system.

Stow, Massachusetts (6B6) was a small airport hidden in the woods. After landing, we chatted with a man that must have been the manager or owner. There were airplanes lined up between the taxiway and runway and hangers under construction. He said he couldn't keep up with the demand. He took our picture for their newsletter.

Pawtucket, Rhode Island (KSFZ) was our next stop and appeared to be a busy flight school airport. We just stopped on the edge of the ramp and snapped a picture. By now, we had determined that the weather was too low for the Hudson River Exclusion but was better inland so we were working on how to get to each state and making sure we didn't skip any. We took off between two business jets.

Plainville, Connecticut (4B8) felt like a throwback, old school airport. They only had full-serve fuel so we had to search for the FBO. Walking past a hanger, the mechanic said he really liked the color of the plane as it looked retro. The lady at the FBO counter had two dogs on her lap while she worked. We didn't know how she could concentrate. We did like the big bowl of candy at the counter. Austin thought this airport and town was at the transition from New England to New York suburbs.

Sussex, New Jersey (KFWN) was a remote airport with a steep approach over a hill. There was a twin Comanche doing stop and taxi back full length takeoffs and he politely taxied off to let us depart after a quick photo.

Wilmington, Delaware (KILG) was about the only place with good weather in tiny Delaware. We were headed south to Georgetown, Delaware (KGED) and planned a coastal route to First Flight airport but the weather was just too low so we turned back north. It was a larger field than we had been using and when the ground controller asked which of the three FBOs we wanted to taxi to, Austin laughed at my reply of, "too many choices". So, we just opted for the closest which was Atlantic Aviation as we didn't see any self-serve and all had similar expensive prices. There was a departing Gulfstream crew had the attention of the desk folks but they were surprisingly nice to us and even waived some fee we were supposed to pay. I'm guessing the fee was for being a pesky small airplane that didn't take much fuel.

Austin did some really quick thinking to find Claremont, Maryland (58M) as our next stop since we were planning on-the-fly due to weather. At this point, we were triple checking that we hadn't skipped any of the small east coast states. It was a small, remote airport with two houses next to the runway that looked like they belonged in a tract neighborhood and not on an airport.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 5 (continued)

Next stop was eventually Petersburg, West Virginia (W99). Leaving the low weather coast and flying west, we had to avoid the huge DC SFRA airspace and some weather while we were looking for a destination where we could spend the night. Petersburg listed "on airport camping" which sold us. After landing, we searched for the camping area and saw what looked like it but was outside the high barb-wired fence with a locked gate. Then we saw a large mowed field adjacent to the taxiway with a bridge over the ditch that looked just like the new "island" parking area in Home Built Camping at Oshkosh. Looked perfect to us and we were the only ones around so who could care. We pitched our campsite and Austin went in search of electricity around the closed FBO to heat water for our camping dinner. During his search, an older gentleman drove up and said we weren't supposed to camp there. Austin said he told him the airport listed "on airport camping" and that the other place wasn't "on the airport" or even accessible. He grumbled something and left but we stayed put.

Turns out our hot water heater plug was broken but we had plenty of french bread and chicken salad in foil to eat for dinner. For breakfast, we added cold water to my powdered milk and cereal in a ziplock that I had read about on a camping blog. They said the key was the best quality powdered milk and it was actually pretty good. Austin said he didn't sleep well as he had forgotten his eye shades and didn't want to get up to get them.

End of the day and a bunch more stickers. We just might finish this trip.