Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Fantastic adventure and one you both will always cherish and remember!

Where did you get the US map and stickers?
2018 dues paid!
Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojo View Post
Where did you get the US map and stickers?
njserpas@gmail.com Nicholas Serpas

I think I found him on a BMW forum. It was $26 a couple of years ago.
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 1

Day 1 - Saturday, May 26th, 2018

We departed Dumas, Texas early on the first official day of our attempt to visit 48 states in 7 days. Today, we visited Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and spent the night in Nevada.

Sunrise leaving Dumas.

Our first stop was in Boise City, Oklahoma (17K). It wasn't our original stop as Guymon, Oklahoma (KGUY) was actually IFR with ground fog. No problem to divert as we will probably have to do it many more times on our trip. Quite a desolate place but the weather was fine.

Next stop was Elkhart, Kansas (KEHA). Small town but pretty looking from the air with a nice golf course. We only hopped out on the taxiway for a quick photo. And, it was a planned stop.
<image goes here. Limited to 10 per VAF post>

On to Triniday, Colorado (KTAD). This was an old but cool FBO from probably the 40's or 50's. It looks like it was a frequent stopping point at some time. There was an old soda fountain in the lobby and a very old radio in the back room.

Next stop, Aztec, New Mexico (N19). On the way in, we saw a TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) that was obviously for fire fighting. We could see the firefighting plane or probably helicopter on our instruments. After landing, we saw a mule deer cross the runway. Glad it waited to cross. Inside the FBO were directions to old Pueblo ruins. There was a TV and VCR with old aviation related VHS tapes.

A pleasant surprise as we were happily flying along when Austin said, "what are those red rock towers over there?" Turns out we were close enough to take a quick detour to see Monument Valley.

Page, Arizona (KPGA). We were surprised at how busy the airport was with all the Grand Canyon tours arriving and departing.

Lake Powell was beautiful. And big!
<lake powell picture goes here>

On to Utah but first a detour past the Painted Desert and then through the Grand Canyon. We flew the Zuni and Dragon corridors which allowed us to get down lower. It was unpleasantly bumpy.

St. George, Utah (KPGA). We took a quick nap in the large FBO back in the crew lounge. Very windy so we tied the airplane down.

We stopped for the night in Hawthorne, Nevada (KHTH) but made a gas stop in Tonopah, Nevada (KTPH) on the way. Tonopah looked like it was a giant airport back in WWII days and the older (and only) gentleman at the really old FBO said Chuck Yeager learned to fly P-39 Airacobras here. There were huge wooden hangers falling apart and the wind was blowing at 30 knots. Austin had to hold onto the airplane while we refueled. It was a short hop to Hawthorne.

Shelby paid (my birthday present, Thanks!) for a night in the Travelodge. Hawthorne is billed as the most explosive town in the world and we saw thousands of bunker looking things in the desert outside of town. Betty met us at the FBO and was the nicest person we encountered on the trip. She provided a courtesy mini-van without asking and was a wealth of directions and helpful hints. Austin and I were sad the Bomb Museum wasn't open.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Default 48 states 7 days

I love what you are doing. This has been on my list for the last couple of years - retirement in 13 months, 48 state contiguous US state tour in 13 months 1 day. Keep up the journal, I love reading about your choice of airports and order of states!

Fly Safe

Doug
RV8
Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 AM

Wonderful adventure, Larry! Congratulations.
RV-9A SB Fuselage / Finish Kit on-hand
[Engine and CS Prop still to acquire]
Old 06-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 2

Day 2 - Sunday, May 27th, 2018

Up early for our second official day of the trip. The Travelodge was quiet and comfy and we got a good night's sleep after watching NBA basketball. After a drive-through breakfast of McDonald's bacon, egg and cheese biscuits it was an easy drive back to the airport. Today will take us to California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and North Dakota. Here are the bomb bunkers leaving Hawthorne.

First stop, Alturas, California (KAAT). Small quiet town with flooded field growing something very wet. Very nice unmanned FBO in an old metal roofed building with perfect grass out front. We refilled our water bottles from the old pump next to the building. We both said it would have been a good place to camp. The gas pump credit card machine stuck out as it was a very modern computer screen type.

John Day, Oregon (KGCD). It was a very steep approach to runway 35 over the mountains. The airport was up on a mesa and the surrounding terrain looked like an alpine village. This was the most beautiful small FBO on the entire trip. It had a lodge theme, 2 bunk rooms with showers and a glass 3 story viewing area with a panorama view. But, the pumps weren't working because of a lightning storm a few days prior.

Walla Walla, Washington (KALW). Patchwork fields surrounded the Class D airport. We could see what looked like wineries and when Austin googled the town, it mentioned there were 100 wineries in the area. We asked ground if there were any restaurants and he said maybe in the terminal. We walked about a mile only to find everything closed. On the way, there were 3 or 4 wineries on the airport grounds.

We were hungry so it was time to heat water with the plug thing and have some delicious Ramen while sitting on the concrete outside the locked FBO.

Orofino, Idaho (S68). This was the most beautiful airport of the trip. Deep in a valley next to a swift river. Well appointed FBO.

Quite a challenging approach and departure. It was a left had pattern so we flew along the hill to the left of the field in the photo and made a tight turn and are flying down another hill in the photo. Easy in an RV but I imagine not many inexperienced Cessna pilots make this a destination.

Large reservoir high above the town on the way to the field.

Beautiful but rugged and remote terrain between Idaho to Montana.

On to Butte, Montana (KBTM). We had some weather over the field but we could see it on ADS-B from 30 minutes out. We decided to continue on and it had cleared by the time we got there. More beautiful valleys and there was a gigantic open-pit copper mine adjacent to the town that was cool to see from the air. The FBO was full service but we didn't go in. We should have as the fueler said it was for the fancy Gulfstream crowd visiting the 5 star lodges nearby. We made a quick turn and left for Wyoming.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:17 AM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 2 (continued)

Copper Mine. You can see the storm on the screen. It was 5 miles from the field and moving away.

Rain Showers on the way to Butte.

The weather was not cooperating in Wyoming so we pressed on Hettinger, North Dakota (KHEI) with the plan to backtrack in the morning. No state left behind! It was getting dark and we could see the gas flairs from the oil fields. We were on flight following from Salt Lake Center and it was reasonably busy with many airliners complaining about the ride and wanting to change altitudes. We were amused when the controller asked if we built the RV and if it was a nosewheel or taildragger. We chatted for a moment and I made sure to tell him the ride is and has been smooth at 11,500 feet, just to aggravate the airliners.

Sun going down over the gas fields in North Dakota.

It was dark when we arrived.

We slept on the floor of the FBO. Not terrible on our camping pads but the automatic lights wanted to come on too often. There was a shower in the morning that we used before we left but it never got warm. Now we were wide awake.

Only ones at the field. It was odd how all the surrounding houses had the same color lights, maybe because they were so close to the airport?

End of day 2 and the map is starting to fill up.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Default 48 states

As others chime in w/ "been there.." Orofino-there, for salmon fishing; Butte: the copper mine established during Ireland's potato famine- per town, huge influx of Irish workers, descendants today. Current 3rd or 4th largest St. Patty's Day parade in U.S.; (home of Evil Knievel, B&R, now museum); Hettinger: where I go pheasant hunting every Fall. Had I known, could have gotten you a better place to stay. Great photos, posts.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 4003 View Post
Orofino-there, for salmon fishing; Hettinger: where I go pheasant hunting every Fall.
We don't plan to do the 48 state thing again but do have a bunch of places we plan to re-visit with time to enjoy. Like these!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Orofino is awesome

Larry,
I'm so glad you were able to make it to Orofino. It is definitely a place I plan to return to the first chance I get. I blew my first approach there because I was coming in from the east and the canyon was so deep that I couldn't see the airport until I was right on top of it and far too high. Another approach through the canyon from the south was rewarded with the beautiful view you photographed. It really is a gem of an airport.

Blog: www.roughandreadyaerospace.blogspot.com