I love my ICARO2000 and it is perfect for what I do. Here is a post review I wrote on my FB page. Pardon the English and grammar..English is my 4th language and still not 100%
First, thanks to ICARO 2000 for my “NERV” helmet and for allowing me to write a test review. I received my new helmet a few weeks ago but just have had the chance to try it while flying.
If there is something I do know about is Helmets! I've been wearing them for almost 50 years while racing Motorcycles and all kind of different extreme sports I've been involved since I was 7 years old. Honestly, I'm surprised I wasn't born wearing a helmet!
During the 70's a well-known US helmet manufacturer had a marketing slogan back that said "IF YOU HAVE A $10 HEAD, WEAR A $10 HELMET" I took that statement seriously and it does make sense! I have had so many helmets that I can’t count anymore. I have had US, Japanese and Italian made Fiberglass, Kevlar, Carbon Fiber and Plastic Helmets...all of them had one thing in common...CERTIFICATION. They were all SNELL and EN certified.
The ICARO 2000 NERV helmet is an Italian Made Aviator helmet. It is certified under European Certification EN966 and in the approved FAI list of helmets for free flight use during competition.
The helmet is made of Poly carbonate which is a fancy technical word for plastic. Thickness is 3 mm's making this helmet super strong!
- The helmet shows well out of the box. As everything Italian, "It's a work of Art"
- I got the Carbon Fiber Look and it looks fantastic.
- Super light @ 623 grams with the visor installed.
- Push latch quick disconnect, and a nice padded belt makes the helmet a pleasure to wear for long periods and easy to secure and remove.
- Inside the helmet a foam shell is lined with removable padding for easy cleaning and interchange if needed
- Knob to adjust to your head circumference. BTW, I love this feature...all other helmet manufacturers send extra padding to adjust to your head shape. Honestly, the pain you experience while fitting your helmet correctly is something I don’t wish to anyone...Icaro 2000 have found a solution to this problem and it needs to be commended
- I got two visors. One Yellow and one Gray Mirror. Exchange of visors is quick and easy. Clear and Smoke are also available.
- Soft ear flaps make the helmet easy to wear
Wearing the NERV:
- I use the Clarity Aloft headset. This set up allows me to use it in some helmets while wearing them very comfortable. Also, no need to buy expensive helmets with more expensive headset incorporated in them.
- With the ICARO2000 NERV, I can elect to insert my ear buds after I wear the helmet if I want.
- The Soft Ear Flaps guarantees 100% access to the earbuds for proper fit even during flight.
- Nice Fit. The adjustable knob in the back is a nice feature to have. You can tight for perfect fit during aerobatic flying or loose fit for cross country flying.
- Vented...yes! you can feel the air cool over your head if you direct your vents toward your head!
- Seating on my MX2 w my large frame at 6’2” is a tight fight. My helmet to canopy clearance is at a good 2 inches. Wearing the NERV is not a problem while seating in position and properly strapped. Side to Side is always restricted even without a helmet. Left to Right and Up and Down movement was normal with the Visor Down. With the Visor Up, I experience a little rubbing passes the 90-degree Head Up position.
- I performed several high G maneuvers in flight and it felt natural. Actually, did not feel like I was wearing a helmet at all. It stays in position at all times
Price: For under $250.00 US you can have same and IMHO much better protection than from any aviation helmets costing from $700.00 to $2,500.
For AEROBATIC Competitions or Airshows or any other SPORTS FLYING, this is a great product for you to consider. Overall it is a fantastic product and It DOES NOT feel like your typical aviation helmet. You feel protected and it feels like it was custom made for your head.
One last think...This helmet is also multipurpose use.... I will be using it for my Skiing trips to the slopes.
2007 MX2 N303MV S/N 007 "Patches" Current since 4/2016 Saving for RV7 Kit!
1999 Giles 202 "Desmobatic" (primal Fear) (sold 4/2016)
1965 PA32-260 "God Bless America" (sold 12/2016)
2003 RV6 "Airhawk One" (sold in 7/2015)