What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin pin crimper question ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Just got my LRU components for G3x suite. I am not familiar with the little connector pins. What crimper tool do I need to complete this suite install with highly reliable results ?

The G3X has both standard density and a lot of high density pins too so you need the high density insert as well for the crimper from Stein. Works great.

Larry,
I think you would be better off getting the Daniels AFM8 on eBay with the three positioners that you need (K41, K42 and K13-1). A target price would be around $100 for the crimper. You'll need the AFM8 for the high density pins anyway, so you might as well get it and its positioner for the standard density pins, the K13-1. If you were just dealing with the standard density pins, the $38 crimper from Stein would suffice, but the majority of your crimping will be the high density pins. There are no high density sockets, but you might want to crimp some on to short segments of 22AWG wire for testing continuity at some point in the project. If you are troubleshooting for continuity it's handy to be able to insert a wire/socket on to the pins in the connectors for your ohmmeter testing.

If you're really on a budget, you can get by with the $38 crimper with a $10 positioner for the high denisty pins on Stein's web site.

Last edited:
Just got my LRU components for G3x suite. I am not familiar with the little connector pins. What crimper tool do I need to complete this suite install with highly reliable results ?

Hello Larry,

As others have said, you should have good results with either the low cost crimper that SteinAir sells or from a new or used Daniels AFM-8 crimper.

If you decide to go with the Daniels AFM-8 crimper, you only need the K13-1 (standard density male/female pins) and K42 (high density male pins) positioners.

You can precisely crimp every pin in an entire G3X Touch system with GNS/GTN navigator with these 3 items.

qQW84cLINw7epdvo89plJCqJ-f_YzISO79VocQPB6JPwDL_FnF_-mWBViSsFt3SNJLkRXyE8ZcjfeSEkUEOmbSEjZJOFUmEEqHWoA9WWBJRlVS-H4BpAGz9_qwx-Tw_vl5LgL-FgaiEyidt6B3JsQ1MBp67sQdCE9M72Ml2CsnLhieDAywNHD5YvDLEu-okPnebcUIjMd8UuN9AvxCEXS4x8q2bgdg_nLeJ8vMPBMMlCVjstmoyTyWDR0XQHkR-nFCg8Vk3ZV6qFkAR2SCzbnsZ1B2Dke2I2wPmkQC4yf3GpjROXDNuimP8Ttewp3sw_XoaY2b4Y_KswbYLC9ZwtkFEVw0iWI_H9hkeWNGCrb_i8kxP1VMBg09iOp64_9n3F01Y1qcYI1lDdTUvea3vaZ9xrV8OkPPDFyhydEjIMspH5vd4fXgjM0arpNx_0ZE6zdK2KmmA2vrBfYr2V18KG0dZbOgYx_NwVINdpteCpvwyMyQUEQL_2NIBTJ_PvKmtVeYNPB7wLPWwkkd7UG9SkeN8rOj97Ytpxmag37DTMtKk1n1QEIQfC2JRA1pjpE0CH5zJeMnry4VJ61VTIztM3GJ8JaMlEBCKEzMuWN6wXFEMbHvKiW7lDHWijepub5Hd4vvZ0UhS0tb80jBJaTIxHim01BlEh8aennjLlRCw7Et2iyqKiGSW_AJOt1eDdqIoTbYeh-SsWTsKbE-O76KkmJYOWqBjmcVUzBgPIshRvgFxNCvQ=w840

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
AF8

How about the AF8 with the TH-163 Turret? I know it?s really for large AWG (12-24), but I think it would come in really handy in other areas of the build.

How about the AF8 with the TH-163 Turret? I know it?s really for large AWG (12-24), but I think it would come in really handy in other areas of the build.

As mentioned above, the AFM8 is perfect for all the low-current/signal wiring.

However, I used a number of Deutsch connector for high power connections, and found that the big boy AF8 with turret was perfect for the DT and DTM sized machined contacts.

However, I used a number of Deutsch connector for high power connections, and found that the big boy AF8 with turret was perfect for the DT and DTM sized machined contacts.

My thoughts exactly! :)

I will try an analogy here. Using the cheap pin crimper kind of works okay. It's like using a Harbor Freight air hammer to drive rivets. Using the Daniels AFM8 is like using a fine-tuned Sioux rivet gun with a feathering trigger to drive rivets. So you have zero doubt about the quality of the crimp with the Daniels. Just like the good feel of the Sioux. It's a zen-like thing. The size of the AFM8 mini tool is perfect. The larger turret crimpers can be unwieldy (I have both). As for the mentioned Deutsche connectors. I use the cheaper tool kits available on eBay for those and save my Daniels for actual avionics work. I really like Deutsche connectors, by the way.

Life is short. Get the right tools and get great results while still saving money over ordering custom harnesses. Feel the zen. Lots of fun too.

Jim

Last edited:
The best price I found for the positioners is directly from Daniels Manufacturing.

I was able to get positioners off ebay at a significantly less price than Daniels. Use your favorite ebay snipe tool and don't get caught up in high competition bids. It may take a few weeks, but you'll get what you want on a tight budget.

I also purchased the test tool to ensure that the used positioners were within spec.

The best price I found for the positioners is directly from Daniels Manufacturing.

You can also get them on Amazon now for less than the DMC price but lookout for shipping costs and time to ship (likely from China) may take a while. I suspect DMC has them made in China since they also take a long time to ship.

Want sell your stuff ?

Thanks for all the great help guys. I will act on your advice If anyone wants to sell your tools let me know. Also, is there anyone in the Indiana / Illinois area willing to mentor me on this new (for me) skill?

Any reason why not to use the AF8 for the 22 garmin pins as well?
TH163 ?

instead of buying two tools?

Thanks
Oren

I have both a DMC and a low cost crimper for sub D pins. Full disclosure, I am not sure if the low cost was from Stein or another source.

I found the low cost crimper was easy to over crimp and cut the wires. I used all 24 guage for instrument multi conductor wires and felt I could not risk partially cut strands so I bought a DMC on ebay. No chance of over crimp with the DMC set up properly. Small $s in the greater scheme of things.

I am all in favour of a good quality tool.
But AF8 can crimp 12-26, while AFM 20-32
So I am going towards AF8, but garmin datasheets states only positioners for AFM8, and I wonder if there are similar to AF8?

Back