What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Heat Control

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Hello. It is not clear to me if all heated pitots require a controller of some sort to regulate temperature; it appears that new heated pitots come with a controller. I am looking at buying an old 1940's heated pitot, but can't figure out if it needs to be controlled or just wired for "on" and "off". If a control is required, where may I find a controller for pitot heat? I've searched the web some but come up empty.

Thanks for the assistance.

All single engine Cessnas use a simple ON/OFF switch to control their pitot heat. I'm using a Cessna heated pitot on my RV-9A and am using a simple ON/OFF switch.

controller

You can't just hook up controller to old pitot. It regulates it and doesn't turn it on until correct temp sense so you need a feedback temp sensor.

You should be fine with on-off

My opinion

In my opinion, the pitot heat controller just keeps people from burning their fingers if they touch the pitot while the pitot heat is on. Without a controller, it is important to make sure the pitot heat is turned off before anyone gets near the darn thing. JMHO

Arguement in favor of non-regulated:
Less expensive to buy. Slightly easier to install (no control box).
Arguements in favor of regulated:
1. Usually use less current (long term that means less Avgas)
2. If you forget to turn it off, land, taxi, tie down, then touch the pitot, you won’t come away with a second degree burn.

Edit. As John said...

Back