What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

90 deg oil filter adapter?

wfinnell

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm buying an engine for my RV-8. There is an option for a 90 degree spin on oil filter adapter. I imagined that this would position the oil filter in a hanging down position, making filter changes easier.

I did a google image search and it looks like it points the filter up...

So now I'm thinking, maybe the oil will drain out of the filter while it is still attached to the engine.

I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer to my questions, so here goes:

1) Do I have it right, does the adapter point the filter up?

2) Is this a good option? Does it help with oil changes?

3) Does it get in the way or cause any interference under the RV-8 cowel?

:confused:
Thank you in advance,

#1 yes it points up. I poke a hole in the filter when I begin my oil change and it?s empty by the time I get the bottom cowl off and drain the oil and check the screen. Spinning the filter off is the last thing I do and it?s virtually mess free.

#2 it?s a great option. I did it after several messy oil changes in the stock position.

#3 not sure I have a RV6.

I have one that the oil filter hangs down. I can't remember the name but I thought they were supposed to joint up so I called the company and they confirmed it hangs down. If you want the name or a pic, email me and I will get it when I get home in a couple days.

It works, but....

1.) as already said, pointing up.
2.) i am not flying yet, but i searched the forum and decided to go with it exactly for that reason. To ease oil changes and make them less prone to make a mess. (Planecrazy232 desrcribes the way to do them)
3.) no issues with the cowling, but the engine mounts upper left tube is getting in your way so that the Filter won?t come off (conical mount, ECI Titan XIO-360). You have to order the spacer with the filter adapter. For me the 2.5? spacer from B&C worked perfectly, i also ordered the filter adapter there, if i remember correctly (www.bandc.aero).

Mit Fliegergru

Back