What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 finish kit must-haves on a budget

aerial

Does anyone have an opinion on what the RV4 finish kit "must-haves" are in light of the price and availability increases by the end of the year? I would like to finish this plane up with the help of my 3 young boys in the future but they are not quite old enough, and I would like to keep my current investment viable.

Finishing Kit

Plexi-glass canopy, light gray tint is standard; clear available on special order.
Welded canopy frame.
Fiberglass cowl and mounting materials.
Engine mount.
Main gear legs (RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-7). Includes axles, wheel nuts, spacers and installation hardware.
Fiberglass spinner with aluminum mounting plates.
Fiberglass landing gear and wheel fairings.
New 5:00 x 5 wheels and brakes with hardware.
All brake lines and hardware.
New 5:00 x 5 tires and tubes.
Wing root and empennage/fuselage fairings.

A couple things..

Hello,
I built my -4 on a very tight budget, with my son in the shop as often as possible..he was 2 when I started, and 18 by the time it flew. Took a long time! As far as finish kit, there are aftermarket options for various items like canopy and cowl, however the standard products issued from Vans are what I used and have been pleased with. The smoked light grey canopy is what I have and provides very slight tint but not enough to work against you at night. The biggest choice you must make if buying now is the engine mount/cowl/spinner. This will be defined by engine and prop choice. I would recommend you find some local RV-4 builder/owners and learn the pros and cons. If your going budget minded stick to 160hp fixed pitch prop direction and start looking for all the things you will need like exhaust and accessories. There are plenty of these items in the classifieds post that pop up on this wonderful forum ..get building!

"Be a U.S. citizen or an individual of a foreign country who has been admitted for permanent residence in the United States. Be 18 years of age or older. Be the "primary builder" of the aircraft."

Is your boy on the repairmen's certificate? What age would you say they start to "qualify" as the builder?

No, he is not on the certificate..he doesn't need to be. Have you followed any of the school projects being built?

School project

No I haven't been on the site for a number of years, nor have I been flying. I took a hiatus along with most of general aviation in our area. I'm not sure exactly what set it off, but $8 gas, increased expense, and a lot of people not making payments on homes had something to do with it. I would like this project to be a home school project that leads to A&P school for the boys if they take a liking to it, and I think it will give good practical experience that can be applied to many professions.

Get building!

I found building the -4 to be a great father-son experience, and since I am a certificated AP/IA, the repairmans cert. wasn't on my radar at all. My son now works for a local FBO at our home airport, and is preparing to get his A&P. He enjoys an occasional flight with me, but has not pursued getting his PPL at this time. I'm not sure how far along you are with your -4, but it isn't going to get cheaper to build one for sure...I would buy all the parts you can to get finished so you don't have as many stop-wait-buy-build on delays. The -4 still requires alot of forward thinking for systems, ect. that are more plug and play on other series of RV's.

Back